The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help With Sit Drills???

Or Wayne if you have any suggestions.

Thanks guys i was aware of the sit to the pile drill in TRT.. Just did not know if there were any other Obedience drills only (not training with bumpers) to begin to condition him to sit in the field. But as you mentioned i may be expecting to much from my pup at this age. Jen thanks i will send you a pm to give you an idea of what stage my pup is currently at.

If you go to the Fireside Chat dvd (No. 5), Lardy discusses the crooked sit. He uses BB (Bird Boy) blinds to work on crooked sits and other problems. Generally he uses this technique when he cleaned up the crooked sit on pile work but it reappeared in field work. But given the difficulty you are having, it might be best to use BB blinds.
    If you don't have Disc 5 let me know and I'll describe it.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Wayne, thanks for your help. I don't have Disc 5 right now to refer to. You mind describing it?

Jswann,

I'm by no means an expert, Wayne is right, Lardy has an excellent sequence about the crooked sit. I'll let him describe it if he chooses. You should buy the dvds - they're awesome.

My platform drill is based on clicker/marker training and is used by the competition obedience crowd. Don't know if you want to give it a try, but if you do, I'll describe it for you. It definitely helps create a precise, square sit, facing handler. Though not sure how it will meld with your training so far. It has worked great for me so far in teaching front sit, heel sit and right hand heel positions.

Jen

OK here goes BB blinds:

BB blinds are used so you can get lots of reps. Put a white coat person (Bird Boy) with about a dozen bumpers (white at first) out 75 yds in short cover. Have BB drop a bumper at his feet and walk off 8 steps perpendicular to the line.

Send the dog. Stop if he gets off line (use strict standard). If he sits crooked. The process is:

First use just attrition with body english (both arms out in front bending down slightly) with a toot-toot-toot come in whistle. He should only move a step or so toward you. When he straightens out sit whistle again.

After the first few times start using ecollar nick (momentary with relatively low pressure). Toot-toot-toot then nick when he doesn't straighten up immediately to the toot-toot-toot. Then sit whistle as soon as he straightens up.

After a little while of this give nick with the toot-toot-toot whistle. Then sit whistle when he straightens up.

The crooked sit may not clean up in one day but may take four days or so.

After dog picks up the first bumper, while the dog in coming back, BB drops another bumper at his feet and walks off another 8 steps perpendicular to the line. After going in one direction for a while BB should reverse directions. Edit: When reversing direction put bumper on the other side of the BB.

This process is a lot easier to visualize on a dvd than to describe in words but I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 11-06-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I'm working on sit while returning with my six month old in prep for going to the pile. I want to teach her that concept before I ask for it under the pressure of pile work, or with bumper in mouth. She's collar conditioned so it's easier, but I can describe to you how to do it with a long line if you want. I'm using a combination of pressure and rewards to get the results while maintaining attitude.

It's nothing you'll see in TRT or any other program but it supports the concept of sitting on the way back from the pile.

PM me for more information if you think it would be useful.
    Darrin Greene

Thank you guys for all your help!!