The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: John Denver, Duck Hunter

Default John Denver, Duck Hunter

Who knew?

A buddy of mine recited a line from this song at breakfast so I had to look it up.

JOHN DENVER
    Two Shots

I took two shots, got no ducks, and cold, cold hands.
    Last night while I was out drinking, trying to have a good time.
    The lady with whom I was speaking thought I was feeding her some old line.
    When I spoke of a cold winter's morning, a duck blind and a river of gray.
    The sound of the snow softly falling when I thought I heard somebody say,
    I could tell by the gaze of my comrades that I was the one who had spoke.
    Their eyes held a message of patience, the thrill of the hunt and of hope.
    But when I spoke again, how they listened for the wisdom of what I might say,
    if the good Lord had meant us to shoot one he'd surely send more ducks our way.
    Well the lady with whom I was speaking, she laughed lightly and she wandered away.
    My heart, like the snow in my story fell silent, I'd hoped she would stay.
    It's so nice to talk to somebody, to find someone who's willing to share.
    I know that this life is worth living but sometimes it just isn't fair,
    I took two shots, got no ducks, and cold, cold hands,

And the song itself, even though the video is lame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx5OTdsVpLQ
    Last edited by Goldenboy; 11-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    Mark

I liked it so much my license plate is TSNDCCH. It gets a few looks and occasionally people ask.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

John Denver spent a considerable amount of time in the town I grew up in...St. Peter MN. Wrote a lot of his big songs there. His wife was from there. Well he lived with my high school buddies family for most of the time he lived there. My buddies father and JD hunted quite a bit together, out on Swan and Middle Lake. That family thought the world of JD!

My wife and I went to Munich Germany several years ago on a European trip. We decided to go to a famous beer hall there and after dinner in the garden we went to the Great Hall where about six thousand folks from all over the world were seated in long tables. You sat where you could and at our table were locals, Aussies, Swiss's, Spanairds and us Okies. We got to visiting and drinking and having a good time while the Oompah Band played. The band went on break and John Denver's "Country Road" came on the PA. As if it was choreographed, everybody in the hall stood up, locked arms and started swaying to and froh as they sang at the top of their lungs, County Road, in every accent you could imagine. It was a Fellini moment. If there is a world anthem, I found out that its John Denver's Country Road!
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

I heard Colorado just adopted Rocky Mountain "High" as their state song!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Seitzer View Post
    John Denver spent a considerable amount of time in the town I grew up in...St. Peter MN. Wrote a lot of his big songs there. His wife was from there. Well he lived with my high school buddies family for most of the time he lived there. My buddies father and JD hunted quite a bit together, out on Swan and Middle Lake. That family thought the world of JD!
    Very interesting post. At one time there was AKC field trials on Swan Lake. I believe the Club's name was Minnesota Valley Retriever Club. They had a club house and technical ponds by a little town called Nicolet. I've judged for them several times. One of the trials I judged NFC NAFC Candlewood's Super Tanker got his first all age win. The water marks were on Swan Lake and I used 3 boats. Even had the live flyer shot out of a boat. Had a big flat. The two gunners were seated at the stern. The bird thrower stood and threw the bird over their head. The test worked very well. All marks were less than 200 yds. The last time I saw Joyce she mentioned that's the only time she's ever seen a 3-boat mark in an all age stake. This a great equalizer because most people don't have the time and the help to put out three boat marks and you can actually test the natural marking ability of the dogs.

Jack
    It was impossible, so it took a little longer to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    Very interesting post. At one time there was AKC field trials on Swan Lake. I believe the Club's name was Minnesota Valley Retriever Club. They had a club house and technical ponds by a little town called Nicolet. I've judged for them several times. One of the trials I judged NFC NAFC Candlewood's Super Tanker got his first all age win. The water marks were on Swan Lake and I used 3 boats. Even had the live flyer shot out of a boat. Had a big flat. The two gunners were seated at the stern. The bird thrower stood and threw the bird over their head. The test worked very well. All marks were less than 200 yds. The last time I saw Joyce she mentioned that's the only time she's ever seen a 3-boat mark in an all age stake. This a great equalizer because most people don't have the time and the help to put out three boat marks and you can actually test the natural marking ability of the dogs.

Jack

Very interesting!!

I grew up on a farm less than 5 miles from Swan Lake and bordering Middle Lake. Also about 6 miles from Nicollet! Also I still have a hunting cabin on Swan Lake on the North side of the lake. It used to be a great hunting lake but it has declined in the last 7 years. That whole area was my playground as a kid growing up!

I grew up 50 min from there my self what a small world- i have to agree the hunting has declined there over the last few years. My dad always sang county roads out loud when we would be on long drives and when i went to Octoberfest in munich germany in 2007 they sang the song at the haufbrau house and in the festival tents too ha sure wish i could have seen him play before he left us- my other favorite by him is grandma's feather bed
    Last edited by JustinS; 11-08-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

That John Denver was full of spit, man!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade