RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Fish oil

6K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  David McLendon 
#1 ·
Who still gives it? Do you worry if the label says purified to eliminate mercury?

#2 ·
I do..purified, but not pharmaceutical grade.
1200 mg twice per day

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I give it to all of mine daily. Just curious if people were still using it. Is there anything to worry about if it doesn't say purified to eliminate mercury? The kind I use I get from dollar general and it does have that on the label. Just wondered if there was anything to it.

#5 ·
I was wondering the same thing, and so didn't buy another bottle of the Grizzly wild salmon fish oil when I ran out. I keep meaning to look into it.

What got me nervous were some recent warnings for humans about mercury in wild fish.

I ate a bunch of walleye in Minnesota last summer for example and even the fish in these isolated lakes contain mercury...apparently I ate a year's worth of mercury in one week.:shock:

#8 ·
There have been some studies that have tested a number of brands of fish oil for contaminants. Contaminants are rare, at least in the human-grade stuff that was tested. The species of fish that are harvested are relatively low in the food chain, meaning contaminants are less likely to accumulate, and many companies distill the oil to help remove any contaminants. I don't know if the fish oil that's marketed for pets has been tested.

My guys get Kirkland brand. My main reason for giving fish oil is for its anti-inflammatory properties.

#12 ·
What about Cod Liver Oil? I have a bottle of Nordic Naturals. It was originally bought it for my cats but they won't touch it. My dog gets it a little with his meals each day.

#14 ·
My girls get 1 each twice a day with meals. I have the Kirkland brand I order from Amazon. I use to take the same capsule but I can't handle the taste, but the girls seem to swallow with no problems!

#16 ·
Both my girls get it, older one twice a day, younger one once, at 1000 mg each.

#18 ·
Mercury is the most toxic of the heavy metals. All marine sources of essential fatty acids contain mercury. There is krill oil that has been proven to much more superior to fish oil. If you want a source that does not contain mercury you want a plant based essential fatty acids such as hemp seed, or flax seed. Hemp seed I believe contains a full spectrum of 3-6-9 fatty acids. Here's a link with some info on the different sources. Mercury or heavy metal poisoning can cause serious mental and physical conditions, so educate your self on the different sources and pick the one you feel comfortable giving to your dogs.
http://krilloil.mercola.com/krill-oil.html

#21 ·
I tried using a salmon oil in a squirt bottle and noticed his coat getting shiny and feeling a little oily. After that bottle was done, I tried using Jamieson Omega 3-6-9 gel capsules and noticed a similar (but less oily) affect on his coat. So far he seems to be doing well on it and it is cheaper than the salmon oil I tried at first. He won't eat the capsule if I put it in his food, so I just pierce it and squirt the liquid on his food with a little water before feeding.

#23 ·
I use Alaska Naturals Wild Alaska Salmon oil, it's definitely not cheap but it's good stuff. We start pups on it as soon as they start eating, feed it to gestating and lactating females and my 17 month old POW dog has been on it for his whole life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.