The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Recommendations for TPLO surgery rehab/therapy in SW Denver Colorado Area

Default Recommendations for TPLO surgery rehab/therapy in SW Denver Colorado Area

Hello,

I have a good friend living just southwest of Denver Colorado, in Lakewood whose dog just had TPLO surgery. Having been through this fun myself with my lab, I stressed the importance of pool therapy after the surgery. I paid close attention to my girls rehab and while she had the surgery on one leg 5 years ago, she did not tear the other and is still going fairly strong in the field at age 12.

However, I live in New England so my dogs therapist is of no help to my friend. I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer on where she might bring her dog for therapy.

Thanks in advance,

AllieCat
    Last edited by AllieCat; 11-05-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: ommission
    In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.

Canine Rehab and Conditioning Group (CRCG) at Santa Fe and Hampden. Dr. Kristyn Richardson. www.dog-swim.com

Deb Anderson

K-9 Body Shoppe. http://www.thek9bodyshop.com
    Tammy Wolfe. 720.447.7268
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Your friend is lucky in Colorado - lots of good therapists in the Denver area. A good resource to find rehab therapists is: www.caninerehabinstitute.com and www.utcaninerehab.com.
    Jennifer Brown DVM, DACVS, DACVSMR, CCRT
    K-9 SportsVet

HRCH Maranatha's She's Got Phanesse MH, SAR U-1
    Maranatha's Black Talon Phallon JH, SAR U-1

www.lpkennels.com
    www.k9sportsvet.com

Tammy Wolfe helped me on the rehab for four cruciates. I recommend her highly.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I posted for a friend about a year ago--a 7 year old Britt that needed a double TPLO. He took Mokie to Davis (best we got here), and received some great advice from EDA. In fact, I was amazed that he left a cell phone number for a virtual stranger. He took the time! Davis Vets, said it was a must do-- And, no doubt the BEST option.

In the end, my retired Dentist friend could not afford the procedure( Bad real estate investments in Reno). The dog hobbled along and could barely make it up the stairs. Roughly, a thousand spent at that point. I encouraged him to start looking for a new pup and let Mokie hang out on the couch.

Though not 100 percent, the Britt became more mobile as the months went by. He hunted the chukar opener in Nevada a month ago.

Happy ending here: Hunted on Saturday and Mokie pointed 5 pheasants. Yes it was an "easy" hunt--but still very cool.

Good luck to your friend and the rehab.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Tammy is really good. She is in northwest Denver but not very far from Lakewood. We are really lucky to have several different really good PT clinics in the Denver metro area and Fort Collins area.

Thank all of your for your helpful information. I will pass it on and hopefully my friends dog will have a successful recovery and rehab.

Alliecat
    In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.