The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge: Accepted

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    No it doesn't. A compromise means both sides give a little to reach an agreement that both sides can be happy with. Neither side gets what they want in it's entirety, they each get some things they want, and each side gives up some things they want. That's why it is called a compromise.
    Well, that's a nice sentiment, but I haven't heard the dems mention anything they were willing to bring to the table. Can you give some specific examples?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

No it doesn't. A compromise means both sides give a little to reach an agreement that both sides can be happy with. Neither side gets what they want in it's entirety, they each get some things they want, and each side gives up some things they want. That's why it is called a compromise.

in the real world YES...in the world pf politics, there really is no such thing because one party usually has the votes and can dictate the outcome.....now if there was a third party with votes , you would see some horse trading and compromise
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    in the real world YES...in the world pf politics, there really is no such thing because one party usually has the votes and can dictate the outcome.....now if there was a third party with votes , you would see some horse trading and compromise
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Hometown: Rural Ames, IA. College: Maryville, MO

Well, that's a nice sentiment, but I haven't heard the dems mention anything they were willing to bring to the table. Can you give some specific examples?
    I am NOT a Democrat, first off. Second, isn't the "I'm not going to do it if you don't do it first" mentality pretty juvenile? If Republicans want a pres and majority in 2016, they have to change peoples' perception, especially the young people. It is hard to get someones vote when you will take away something like Pell Grants if they cant see the wisdom in such a move.

I am a conservative and my hope was with the beginning of this thread was to see if other conservatives could see the same things I do. Better to be working hand in hand with your fellow Americans than be the spoiled child crying in the sinking boat. This thread has not given me much hope.
    Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
    I am NOT a Democrat, first off. Second, isn't the "I'm not going to do it if you don't do it first" mentality pretty juvenile? If Republicans want a pres and majority in 2016, they have to change peoples' perception, especially the young people. It is hard to get someones vote when you will take away something like Pell Grants if they cant see the wisdom in such a move.

I am a conservative and my hope was with the beginning of this thread was to see if other conservatives could see the same things I do. Better to be working hand in hand with your fellow Americans than be the spoiled child crying in the sinking boat. This thread has not given me much hope.
    Let me reverse it. I'll use your Pell grant freebie. Why should I be willing to let the gov't take my hard earned money thru income taxes so that someone doesn't have to earn what DH and I both worked our butts off to pay for with no grants, loans etc. We both worked and went to college at the same time paying for our classes as we went. Whatever happened to working for what you want rather than just sticking your hand out?
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

That's a good statement but did you see what going to college costs these days?

I too paid my way through college useing pell grants ,Hardees and student loans.
    It is becoming extremely difficult for kids to be going to college unless you have parents that have money.
    Who the hell has money to be sticking away. I certainly don't.
    Come on be more realistic.
    Pell Grants can be worked in to a student's financial aid package by having them pay back by doing community service in his/her field for example after graduation.
    My kids certainly aren't sticking there damn hands out but I'm not rich either.
    Straight A students so hopefully acedemic scolarships or athletic maybe.
    Very poor choice of words poster. Very poor.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Banned

Sue,
    The previous poster has stated in the past that they didn't want kids and seemed to be against helping kids or people with kids. Has made comments like, "you bred it, you pay for it." that's one that sticks in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kiefer View Post
    That's a good statement but did you see what going to college costs these days?

I too paid my way through college useing pell grants ,Hardees and student loans.
    It is becoming extremely difficult for kids to be going to college unless you have parents that have money.
    Who the hell has money to be sticking away. I certainly don't.
    Come on be more realistic.
    Pell Grants can be worked in to a student's financial aid package by having them pay back by doing community service in his/her field for example after graduation.
    My kids certainly aren't sticking there damn hands out but I'm not rich either.
    Straight A students so hopefully acedemic scolarships or athletic maybe.
    Very poor choice of words poster. Very poor.
    Sue
    I have absolutely no problem with what I said. It took me 7 years to get my degree and my husband 9 years, but we did it ourselves and paid as we went, borrowed from nobody, took from nobody other than reaching a point in our college progression that enabled us to get low level entry jobs in our fields that offered some tuition reibursement from our employers.

Sue,
    The previous poster has stated in the past that they didn't want kids and seemed to be against helping kids or people with kids. Has made comments like, "you bred it, you pay for it." that's one that sticks in my mind.
    I think the real saying is "you breed it, you feed it", and personally, I have no problem with that. I certainly am against folks having children which they are unprepared or unable to care for. I also believe that it is in society's interest to have at least a minimally educated population, so I might be more inclined to allow public assistance for education where reasonable. Without researching it, I would guess that there are more folks enrolled in college now than at any other time in history, so, clearly, people ARE finding ways to afford it. I guess one could say that my brother and I were fortunate enough to have our father killed in a car accident when we were young and so got Soc Sec and VA survivor benefits which allowed us to get college educations without having to borrow, so maybe my position doesn't count.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Sue,
    Actually it is " you breed it you feed it". Absolutely no reason the taxpayers should be forced to pay for the iresponsible actions of others.