The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 78

Thread: Challenge: Accepted

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,052

    Default

    From the posts on this subject it's apparent the thrill of earning something is not on some folks horizon - but it's OK for someone else to foot the bill for your children to get ahead . I feel sorry for your kids as your attitude will be ingrained into their thoughts & haunt them for the rest of their life . So what do you do if your kids don't meet the new criteria?
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  2. #42
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    What is the "new criteria"? Just saying they want to go? There are many kids going to college that would be better served if they were working a job, in the military or maybe learning a trade. Not all are cut out for it, yet our feel good society makes them all think they are geniuses if they can spell their names...
    Bill Davis

  3. #43
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    What is the "new criteria"? Just saying they want to go? There are many kids going to college that would be better served if they were working a job, in the military or maybe learning a trade. Not all are cut out for it, yet our feel good society makes them all think they are geniuses if they can spell their names...
    America desperately needs more Poly Sci majors!!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

  4. #44
    Senior Member JS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    The thought of even looking for a grant as you put it is just not how I was brought up. You want something you work for it.
    You are pretty proud of working your way through school without taking any handouts. Rightfully so.

    Maybe you have stated somewhere ... forgive me if I missed it ... did you and your husband get your education in private schools?

    If not, was the cost of tuition a factor?

    Have you forgotten that public schools are subsidized by the taxpayers in order to hold tuition down? So attending a public school IS in a sense "taking a handout". A sizable one at that.

    I know you pay taxes, as do I, so that makes it just "getting back what you put in", but what about someone who does not take advantage of a public school? They still pay in. Were you going to school on their dime ... "taking a handout from them"? Even many poor people pay taxes, part of which goes to subsidize that public school whether they or their children will ever attend. Must be pretty humbling to think you took a handout from them.

    JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

    Real Americans buy American, though it may be too little too late now.



    Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

  5. #45
    Senior Member MooseGooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,972

    Default

    And many of us would like to see a VOUCHER system put in place that allows us to take that Tax money and use it for a Voucher, that would let us CHOOSE what school our kid goes to..
    Competition is a very good thig..

    Teachers unions wont agree..

    of course not!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)


    My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

  6. #46
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    You are pretty proud of working your way through school without taking any handouts. Rightfully so.

    Maybe you have stated somewhere ... forgive me if I missed it ... did you and your husband get your education in private schools?

    If not, was the cost of tuition a factor?

    Have you forgotten that public schools are subsidized by the taxpayers in order to hold tuition down? So attending a public school IS in a sense "taking a handout". A sizable one at that.

    I know you pay taxes, as do I, so that makes it just "getting back what you put in", but what about someone who does not take advantage of a public school? They still pay in. Were you going to school on their dime ... "taking a handout from them"? Even many poor people pay taxes, part of which goes to subsidize that public school whether they or their children will ever attend. Must be pretty humbling to think you took a handout from them.

    JS
    That's pretty funny... sure they get public money... But the holding tuition down part is a joke. Compare tuition costs at post public univerities and the amount it has increased compared to everything else over the last 25 years. All the public subsidies are like all other tax money... wasted. College tuition is out of hand.
    Bill Davis

  7. #47
    Senior Member JS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    That's pretty funny... sure they get public money... But the holding tuition down part is a joke. Compare tuition costs at post public univerities and the amount it has increased compared to everything else over the last 25 years. All the public subsidies are like all other tax money... wasted. College tuition is out of hand.
    Duh!! Do you think maybe the rising cost of tuition at public universities MAY be related to the CUTS to education that have been going on for how long???? That was an issue in this past election ... did you miss that?

    JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

    Real Americans buy American, though it may be too little too late now.



    Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

  8. #48
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Duh!! Do you think maybe the rising cost of tuition at public universities MAY be related to the CUTS to education that have been going on for how long???? That was an issue in this past election ... did you miss that?

    JS
    Not at all.......I think it's due to the compensation the labor gets.

    The only people that can afford to attend some of these schools are the children of the people that work there!!!!
    Last edited by road kill; 11-12-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

  9. #49
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Duh!! Do you think maybe the rising cost of tuition at public universities MAY be related to the CUTS to education that have been going on for how long???? That was an issue in this past election ... did you miss that?

    JS
    No... I think these universities have plenty of money. Look at the edowments that many of them have. Look at the land grants that many of them have. They waste millions on administration, monuments to themselves on campus etc... Cut all that crap out and lower the tuition. Sell off the land these state universities own. Use the endowments...
    Last edited by huntinman; 11-12-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Bill Davis

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    The only people that can afford to attend some of these scholls are the children of the people that are employed there!!!!
    A slight correction - the children of employees of the system, in general, get a free ride, at someone else's expense. Just another free bus pass .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •