The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: The Death Of The GOP

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    And yet, by what the dems on this board are saying this morning, one would think that Obama now has an overarching mandate and can do as he pleases. Last I looked (about 3 minutes ago) the popular vote was less than 1.5 percentage points apart. That isn't an overwhelming endorsement in my opinion.
    "Mandate" is your word, not mine. You may not want to believe it, but it was a convincing win across the board given today's electoral realities. Just as the election was two years ago.

    Mr. "Our goal is to make Obama a one-term President" McConnell acts as if the Obama is the entire problem and that republicans are blameless for the gridlock. Not exactly an olive branch for the next term. Look at the types of bills that the least productive Congress in history passed the past two years. Do you think many of them were anywhere near the "center" or an attempt to meet "half way"? Which ones? The 30+ times they voted to repeal the health care law? Continuing tax breaks for corporations that ship jobs overseas? Defunding planned parenthood? Protecting huge subsidize for big oil? Rejecting infrastructure bills? Weakening consumer protections? Rolling back banking regulations?

    Hopefully, politics will be set aside enough to focus on important things like implementing key elements of the Simpson Bowles plan to reduce the deficit and debt, doing some progressive tax reform, constructive entitlement reform, etc. If not, we are screwed and both parties will be to blame.

  2. #12
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry V View Post
    "Mandate" is your word, not mine. You may not want to believe it, but it was a convincing win across the board given today's electoral realities. Just as the election was two years ago.

    Mr. "Our goal is to make Obama a one-term President" McConnell acts as if the Obama is the entire problem and that republicans are blameless for the gridlock. Not exactly an olive branch for the next term. Look at the types of bills that the least productive Congress in history passed the past two years. Do you think many of them were anywhere near the "center" or an attempt to meet "half way"? Which ones? The 30+ times they voted to repeal the health care law? Continuing tax breaks for corporations that ship jobs overseas? Defunding planned parenthood? Protecting huge subsidize for big oil? Rejecting infrastructure bills? Weakening consumer protections? Rolling back banking regulations?

    Hopefully, politics will be set aside enough to focus on important things like implementing key elements of the Simpson Bowles plan to reduce the deficit and debt, doing some progressive tax reform, constructive entitlement reform, etc. If not, we are screwed and both parties will be to blame.
    You speak as if gridlock is a bad thing. When someone is trying to move things in a way that I feel is very wrong, if I can't turn them around, then at least I want to hold them where they are. With the current admin, I applaud the reps ability to achieve what you are terming gridlock. As least we aren't proceeding down the wrong path. Any good outdoorsman knows that when you are truly lost, the best action is to hold your position until help arrives.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  3. #13
    Senior Member duckheads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    589

    Default

    The GOP is dead but there are 30 states with GOP governers including NC which hasn't had a GOP governer in a long time.

    Hey Franco tell us how many Libertarians got into office yesterday? I seem to have missed that number.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    And yet, by what the dems on this board are saying this morning, one would think that Obama now has an overarching mandate and can do as he pleases. Last I looked (about 3 minutes ago) the popular vote was less than 1.5 percentage points apart. That isn't an overwhelming endorsement in my opinion.
    I've read everyone's posts twice; No one has said what you suggest.

    We recently had a President elected who LOST the popular vote, so what's your point?-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

  5. #15
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    The GOP is dead but there are 30 states with GOP governers including NC which hasn't had a GOP governer in a long time.

    Hey Franco tell us how many Libertarians got into office yesterday? I seem to have missed that number.
    Add to that in NC they also picked up 3 republican seats in the house.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

  6. #16
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    303 to 206 is not exactly a squeeker......
    Do you need to have someone explain the difference between the popular vote and the electoral college?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  7. #17
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    The GOP is dead but there are 30 states with GOP governers including NC which hasn't had a GOP governer in a long time.

    Hey Franco tell us how many Libertarians got into office yesterday? I seem to have missed that number.
    The Libertarian candidates got anywhere from 1.5% to 4%. Considering that they were not covered by the media, they did OK.

    You can take all the solice you want in that 30 states have Repub Govs. The bigger picture is the White House and until the GOP is willing to reform, they will only see the place from the outside.

    I said long ago here on RTF that after 8 years of Bush, the GOP was done. The GOP has done nothing, zero, zilch to change its image.

    Governor Gary Johnson Wins Highest Vote Total Ever for Libertarian for President

    posted by Staff on Nov 07, 2012

    With 97% of precincts reporting, Gov. Gary Johnson for President won 1,140,804 votes for the Libertarian ticket, breaking the 32-year record held by Ed Clark, who won 921,128 votes (1.06%) in 1980.
    Last edited by Franco; 11-07-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

  8. #18
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The Libertarian candidates got anywhere from 1.5% to 4%. Considering that they were not covered by the media, they did OK.

    You can take all the solice you want in that 30 states have Repub Govs. The bigger picture is the White House and until the GOP is willing to reform, they will only see the place from the outside.

    I said long ago here on RTF that after 8 years of Bush, the GOP was done. The GOP has done nothing, zero, zilch to change its image.
    They managed to get rid of you.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, MN
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Statements like these:
    Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    We are anti abortion that was a big point. Women want their abortions, people are standing with their hands out they want free stuff plus your trying to win 4 million +hispanics that were given what they consider a path to citizenship. Good thing for me my daughter is thrilled. Shes a teacher, she pays 700 a year to belong to the union, she was against romney because of what she feared he would do to reform education, she didnt want to lose her job. So at least shes happy.
    and
    You speak as if gridlock is a bad thing. When someone is trying to move things in a way that I feel is very wrong, if I can't turn them around, then at least I want to hold them where they are. With the current admin, I applaud the reps ability to achieve what you are terming gridlock. As least we aren't proceeding down the wrong path. Any good outdoorsman knows that when you are truly lost, the best action is to hold your position until help arrives.
    Only will affirm the truth behind the title of this thread.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,151

    Default

    Another message from T Boone...

    Though I supported another candidate in this election, I congratulate President Obama on his re-election. We should all remember, no matter how divided Americans are during the campaign season, we have one President, and we can only succeed when we come together as a nation to find solutions to our greatest challenges.

    In his last State of the Union address, President Obama spoke strongly in support of using America’s natural gas resources to reduce dependence on OPEC oil. I applauded his call for action at the time, and I will be eager to see him turn this promise into a reality during his second term.

    I hope that, without the pressures of a re-election campaign bearing down upon him, the President and his new Cabinet will reach out to Americans of all political persuasions; representing all commercial sectors, the environment, those who are focused on social and economic needs and have us all work together to secure our energy future, reduce our dependence on OPEC oil and get our economy moving again.

    – T. Boone Pickens


    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •