The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Panting after delivery

Default Panting after delivery

Our BLF had her first litter last night. I haven't been around a litter being whelmed since I was I high school. I do have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Pups are fine and took mom in for a check up today. Vet says things are good. I noticed though that she is panting hard like she did last night while whelping. Vet says they are all out. My wife swears she can feel one more. Is it possible for her to deliver another one a day later? I can't imagine it would've alive if she did, but thought I would ask.
    You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take

Yes, it is possible to deliver a day later. Did you do any xrays? Could be just hot if you've got the whelping box super warm. Is she having contractions, acting uncomfortable?
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I was warned but, still surprised no less at how much "stuff" comes out in the following days. Kinda icky stuff.

Yup, can have a pup a day later. Not usual, but has happened. Thank God not to me.

I had a bitch that whelped early Tuesday morning. She has had bouts of panting both yesterday and today. I'm not concerned as she was x-rayed the day before she whelped and she had them all. It was a good x-ray with good calcification of the pups. I'm sure we saw them all.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

It is about 78 - 80 in the room so pretty warm not noticing any contractions. Did show some teeth chattering for a while but no digging or anything like that. I think the other thing that convinced my wife is that it was a fairly small litter. 5 in all with one that died. I think she just figured all lab litters were 8-10 pups. Honestly I'm glad it's a small litter. Got 3 of 4 taken care of. Going to great hunting homes. Looks like ill only have to find a home for 1 more if we don't keep it.

Get some calcium in her....extra strength tums 2-3 of them.....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    Get some calcium in her....extra strength tums 2-3 of them.....
    Seriously? Why?

Bridget is probably concerned about eclampsia. I've only had one bitch develop this after whelping, it was obvious and scary and required calcium injection. I have it on hand now from my vet just in case. It won't hurt to give her some orally but if it is truly eclampsia and she gets worse, she would need vet treatment, IMO. Keep an eye on her, monitor her temp daily and appetite, interactions with her puppies, check her mammaries daily, etc. She may be just warm or expelling afterbirth stuff, but always keep an eye on them regardless, they can go down fast.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

What Kim said, eclampsia, the extra calcium AFTER whelping never hurts. Her shivering is what bothers me and why I said calcium....
    see link http://dogs.knoji.com/what-is-canine...and-eclampsia/

Tips & Warnings

• Feeding puppy chow, which is high in calcium, to a lactating female will help to prevent eclampsia (milk fever)

• Your vet may be willing to supply you with a tube of gelled calcium that you can give yourself at the very early stages of milk fever - along with his/her instructions on it's use. They are not likely to offer this to a first time dog breeder but if you've already experienced it, they may give you some to have on hand.

• Do NOT feed calcium enriched foods or supplements to pregnant dogs despite the many suggestions you will find in books and the net to do so. By doing this, you are tricking the body into thinking it can 'throw out' calcium as it has an overabundance. By doing so, you will actually INCREASE your risk of eclampsia. It can also have the unwanted side effect of prolonged labors. Wait until your female has her litter to feed calcium enriched foods.

Read more: How to Detect Canine Eclampsia (milk fever) | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2098204_dete...#ixzz2BakOkvrW
    Last edited by Bridget Bodine; 11-07-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com