The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: GDG State Surplus Dog

Default GDG State Surplus Dog

This has been a topic on a regional board for the past few days. The state no longer has use for a dog and offered the dog and all supplies at public auction. The auction ended early and it seems that the trainer, who was not initially aware of the auction, exercised an option to reclaim the dog. All that I know for certain is what is on the auction website and the reason for the auction ending early is hearsay.
    http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all...iew?auc=810555
    I assume that the state, any state, has a responsibility and a process to rid itself of surplus property but this just rubs me the wrong way. I think at the very least the dog should have been offered separate from the equipment. I hope for the best for the dog.
    Opinions?

George

you have got to be kidding me!!! I normally roam on the GSA website to find good deals on boats and cars and such but to find a dog.... I almost cannot believe that they didnt just ask the handler if they wanted him. I served in the army as an MP and the dogs that were used for detection were offered to the handler or other team members after the dog's service was fulfilled. I cannot believe that people would just auction a dog off like that with out previously checking out new owners life style and back ground - I have only sold 1 started dog but I still made sure that it went to a good home.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

I bought an Appendix Quarter Horse from the San Diego PD at auction when I worked down there in the mid 90's. It was well publicised and he didn't go cheap. I believe they were required to go that route because he was "city property" or something along those lines.

My main concern is that the bidder would be more interested in the very large quantity of equipment and just dump the dog. That is why I believe the dog and equipment should, at the very least, have been listed separately.

George

I was a New York State Police K9 handler for 13 years and our retired dogs have ALWAYS went home with their handlers and the handlers also would find good homes for any of the K9s that washed out of our program. That being said - all our dogs are donated to the state - we have never bought dogs.

Someone from another list contacted the dog's trainers who took him back. Apparently he was supposed to go back to them in the first place. They were not happy to hear he was being auctioned.