The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions about youths running Hunt Test

I have went to an event in MT this summer, where one young handler had to be maybe 6 was running his own dog, a pretty wild young & big dog in started. A very small young man, his dad asked the judges " well I can't hold the dog, but can I hold the kid?" the judges said sure. Pretty funny to watch a kid double handed hold on to a collar and a dad holding on to the kids belt, but they managed to keep the dog on the line, I wonder if anyone got a picture of that, great teamwork
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-09-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

New Mexico-- the back water of the retrieving world

Firemanf21-- I see one BIG problem. And you're going to need to fix it fast!! And you need do it before you go much further.

You need to tell us where you're located!!!! Some of these RTFers are going to want to watch and cheer your son on!!!
    Nothing will change unless I try. If I try and nothing changes -- at least I try!

I say go for it, your son will love training and running a test with his dog. But be prepared for failure. Having judged young kids in hunt tests, I have had to fail some because the dog could not do the work. As adults, we sometimes take it hard when we fail a test, but young kids can take it a lot harder.

UPDATE!!!!! 3/16/13

Well today was the day. My son has trained very hard for the last couple of week preparing for his first strated hunt test. Last sunday after a great day of training his dog came into Heat. Needless to say he was heartbroken. Thanks to a good friend and trainer we have spent coutless hours with, we were able to run another dog. He ran started today at West TN HRC in Alamo,Tn. We got 2 passes and a ribbon. I must say none of this would have been remotly possible without the time, help and dedication Mike Cox from River Bluff Rerievers has shown my son. As I promiced in november i am going to try to post some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Will be back at it tomorrow. Wish us luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hate to hear his dog came into heat,I feel sorry for the little man. I can only imagine how excited he was to run his dog only to have that happen. Thats kind of a sad ending to this story. Looks like he still had fun though and thats all that matters. Congrats to you both!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pictures! Looks like your son had a great time! -trudie

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I absolutely LOVE to see a young man or young woman come to the line to run a test. They are the FUTURE. It is hard as a judge not to try to help them out. BUT even after they have had a hard time with their pup encourage them,,,,a few KIND words go a long way. If their DAWG smacks the test .......encourage them..... we NEED to have more youngsters playing our DAWG GAMES........ The Junior Handler program is one thing I like to sign off on ...
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

He looks like a seasoned vet in those pictures! Great job!!
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

congrats, i am extremely jealous. my 8 year old will be running my BLF in an AKC junior hunt test the first weekend in April. i am hoping that the bug will catch him as well.
    DU & Delta Waterfowl

HR Darby Duck Dog
    Red River 1 Shot Water Swatter (HRCH Shine x HRCH Jazz)