RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Questions about youths running Hunt Test

10K views 37 replies 31 participants last post by  Lhbrittany23 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE!! 6/1/14 youths running Hunt Test

I will try to not make the a long post (it probably will be) but here is our background.

My now 12yo is absolutly crazy about Duck hunting! i hadnt duck hunted in several year and I got back into mostly for him. we have been hunting together for the last 3 or 4 years and i cherish every hunt.

Last year we got into a different lease with several guys who had retrievers. He fell in love with the idea of having his own dog. He dropped hints all season long about wanting a retriever of his own. After much debate with my wife, we decided to set him down and descuss it with him. You know the "you have to feed and take care of him" speech. So we secured a pup in january and she came home with us late febuary. He is up every morning at 5:30 to feed and let the dog out as well as spend a little time with her before he catches the bus at 6:30. He also does much of the training. He taught her all of her obdiance commands as well as working with her on retieving.

Neither one of us has ever trained a dog.

At 6 months old i sent her off to be forch fetched, collar conditioned as well as a few other things. she has been gone for almost 2 months and we are getting her back soon, we will continue to train as well as hunt her some this season.

He has since day one had a desire to run his dog in hunt test, We have been to several throught the area last spring and this fall to get an idea of what is expected as well as watch some of the pros run. I even got him to bird boy a couple of local test.

Now for the question:
As a 12 yo how far can he go in this game? We are planning to start running started test this spring. I have come to the realization that it is as much if not more about the handler than it is about the dog. Every dog has good days and bad but i think its up to the handler to work the dog through the bad days and complete the test. I often refere hunt test as a chess match, a thinking mans game. I have seen very few kids his age run test and several of the one i did were pros kids . We have several pro's locally that are willing to work with my son and prepare him for the test. Even with this, i am unsure how far someone his age can go.

Be honest! I would love to hear you comments and suggestions,and anyone that has been in my shoes please tell me what to expect.

As a dad i would like to make sure my son has every tool as well as every oppertunity to be succesful as handler and a hunter! Who knows this could be his calling!

Thanks in advance for your help

See less See more
#28 ·
I absolutely LOVE to see a young man or young woman come to the line to run a test. They are the FUTURE. It is hard as a judge not to try to help them out. BUT even after they have had a hard time with their pup encourage them,,,,a few KIND words go a long way. If their DAWG smacks the test .......encourage them..... we NEED to have more youngsters playing our DAWG GAMES.......:):). The Junior Handler program is one thing I like to sign off on ...

#30 ·
congrats, i am extremely jealous. my 8 year old will be running my BLF in an AKC junior hunt test the first weekend in April. i am hoping that the bug will catch him as well.

#36 ·
Congratulations! Just be careful about letting him get his picture taken with shady characters like Mike. You never know when he might have to explain that to the authorities.

#33 ·
As many have posted on here. Good for the young guy! I know I started in the "dog world" when I was just 8 years old. Because of love and drive for the dogs in general I have been able to make amazing friends, networked, hobbie, and better yet a career working with a dog.
I believe one hundred percent in a child having a passion about something and something so positive is wonderful.

I grew up as a busy child, we had a farm showed live stock and active in dogs. I have changed dog "sports" but still very much same principal.

We are expecting our first child in a few weeks and hope to have our child just as involved as I was growing up. Keep encouraging him the friends and networks he makes in the dog world may keep him out of trouble later ;)

best of luck to him and you!

#37 ·
Congrats to the young handler! Sure sounds like a great career in the making.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.