RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

National Blog

173K views 636 replies 145 participants last post by  fetchbrowndog 
#1 ·
So far so good.... Its pretty cool to see all the pictures and blog of the Pre-national training. And that picture of Slider, might be the best picture of a retriever I have ever seen on-line. Hope the trial coverage is as good as this.... or better

#382 ·
88 did it....

#384 ·
89 did it...

#386 ·
92 handle...

#387 ·
...a triple in a hay field.....

......Go pick up 3 birds....

....looks like our training set up....

ah, ha....not quite so simple apparently...easier said than done....

#388 ·
93 handle....

#390 ·
What makes this common and already difficult set-up especially difficult is thick bermuda cover using hen pheasants after a duck retrieve. That combo causes hunts and results in dogs losing prospective & confidence in their hunt. And with a cross-wind, the later dogs have an even more difficult time with the flyer with features blowing. Tough & will get tougher still unless handlers find a way to put odds in their favor.

#407 ·
Any benefit to taking the flyer or SR first and then taking the RR last? Taking 2 pheasants and then taking the duck? Appears there has been some success with primary for those that have done it that way (I think is how I recall that I saw that Guide, and I'm sure others, did it). Just curious what folks much more knowledgeable than I would use as an approach/game plan on a set up like this.

#391 · (Edited)
96 did it...
86 handle...

#392 ·
Without all the added factors (hen/duck mix, thick grass, wind changes), just the standard set up with a short retired gun hip pocket with a long up gun has caused me to plot, stew, pray and whatever to try and teach my dog to understand this concept for a long time. We practice and practice and my success rate is still pretty low. Seems like most them dogs REALLY want to run long and then good luck picking that short bird up last!

#394 · (Edited)
99 did it
100 handle
101 pick up
70 did it (after two no birds)
103 handle
105 did it

#396 · (Edited)
2 no bird
9 no bird
13 handle
14 handle
15 did it
16 did it
17 handle
2 pick up

#397 · (Edited)
We call this set up a "check down" bird. With the long left a flyer and the short left retired, it makes it very difficult for the dogs to "check down" on the short left hand bird...............especially with the white coats at the flyer station and with the order thrown.

There is no such thing as an easy check down set up especially if the two left hand birds are thrown into the wind. (no chance for a wind save on the short bird).

You can train on this set up all you want and some dogs never do understand what the "easy" cue means. Very challenging test........obviously.

If your judging and want to pare the field down, this is a very good way to do it......although some people might consider it unfair............

#398 · (Edited)
9 did it....
29 did it
31 handle
35 did it
37 did it
40 did it
41 did it
28 did it

#400 · (Edited)
46 did it..
47 did it
48 did it

#402 · (Edited)
50 no bird...
51 handle
56 did it
57 did it
50 did it....now we wait for callbacks

#404 ·
Well, I'm down to two left in the pick 'em. Thats ok, I have really been impressed by a couple of dogs that I had never paid attention to before. That is the main thing I get out of this thread, the summary and the blogs. Exposure to great teams that I don't hear about often. If mine don't win, the best of luck to Guide and Indy! Guide is the coolest character I have ever seen, (per the photos) and Indy, oh my goodness gracious, youth, brains, and beauty, what more could you want? Oh yeah! A great name to go with all that!

#405 ·
I am down to 3 with my picks if they make through this series. And my tie is still going.

Yes I agree exposure to teams you don't even know about.

Love all the pics and info in this thread. :)

#406 ·
Rumor is next series will be a water blind...

#410 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one with two browsers open and hitting F5 every 30 seconds or so waiting for the call backs to be posted... :)

#413 ·
23 dogs are back, dog 92 starts...

#414 · (Edited)
they are running out of daylight, its 4pm CST,would they start a test this late in the day or start fresh in the morning

woo hoo...I still have six dogs left in the Pick Em...and my goal was just to finish ahead of Jacob H :razz:

#416 · (Edited)
Callbacks 14, 15, 16, 28, 29, 31, 40, 41, 47, 48, 50, 56, 57, 65, 70, 76, 79, 88, 89, 92, 93, 96, 99, 105 (24 dogs)
Dogs dropped: 2, 9, 13, 17, 35, 37, 46, 51, 66, 68, 69, 74, 77, 80, 82, 86, 87, 100, 101, 103 (20 dogs)

#418 ·
Word from the field is that they forgot Jerry Lee and it is actually 24 back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.