RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

National Blog

173K views 636 replies 145 participants last post by  fetchbrowndog 
#1 ·
So far so good.... Its pretty cool to see all the pictures and blog of the Pre-national training. And that picture of Slider, might be the best picture of a retriever I have ever seen on-line. Hope the trial coverage is as good as this.... or better

#243 ·
I haven't run AKC in a very, very long time. Just HRC. There all guns are retired behind a holding blind.

#244 ·
You mean "hidden," not "retired."

There is a difference between something that was never there, and something that was there and isn't any longer.

#245 ·
Yes hidden.
But me and Rowdy are going to give AKC a whirl.

#251 ·
as the last sentence states the handler may not attempt to pick them up in a different order which is very different than he must pick them up in the same order, if the dog chooses a different order no harm no penalty

The re-run of a mark or blind which was not previously completed shall be scored by taking into consideration the combined performances of the dog prior to the point of unfairness in the initial run and after the point of unfairness in the re-run. If there shall be more than one re-run of that mark or blind, the Judges shall exercise their discretion in determining how to score it fairly.
The re-run of a mark or blind which was previously completed shall be scored on the first completion and faults committed on such re-run shall be ignored except that if the dog (1) does not complete that portion in accordance with the Judges’ instructions for the test or (2) commits any of the faults set forth herein as usually justifying elimination from a stake, he shall be penalized in the same manner as the Judges would penalize him regardless of the re-run.

Notwithstanding the last sentence of Standard Procedure 8, a handler is not free to select marked falls in a re-run in an order different from the order in which they were selected in the initial run, and if the handler deliberately attempts to do so the dog shall be eliminated from the stake

#247 ·
My source, who shall remain nameless, but has the initials MS, says the wind shifted just as Chad and Trav got to the line. The wind is now blowing from behind and right of the handler. My source says he was extremely proud of Ali for coming up with the birds as well as he did. By the way, the wind has made another shift and is again favorable.

#253 ·
rsfavor,

I hope you do a better job at concealing your passwords and such!!!!! LOL!!!

#254 ·
Atta boy Traveler.....from your half brother, Crosby!

#258 ·
Here's a couple of questions for Dr. Ed, Ted, and any other judges out there keeping up with the nationals. Several really good marking dogs handled in the beginning of the fifth series. It seems that as the day progressed the test either became easier because of shifting winds/lighting conditions or the handlers were able to see things to help there dogs pick up the marks clean. Will the judges go easier on the dogs who ran first this morning when it comes time for call backs. I realize that not all handles are created equal. How much does the work in the first four series affect cuts after the fifth? Also, can a dog with one handle that makes it through the tenth series beat out a dog that comes through the tenth series clean?

#261 ·
Here's a couple of questions for Dr. Ed, Ted, and any other judges out there keeping up with the nationals. Several really good marking dogs handled in the beginning of the fifth series. It seems that as the day progressed the test either became easier because of shifting winds/lighting conditions or the handlers were able to see things to help there dogs pick up the marks clean. Will the judges go easier on the dogs who ran first this morning when it comes time for call backs. I realize that not all handles are created equal. How much does the work in the first four series affect cuts after the fifth? Also, can a dog with one handle that makes it through the tenth series beat out a dog that comes through the tenth series clean?
Field trial judging is not done on a curve, changing conditions are part of the luck of the draw which usually balance out over the career of a dog, so benefitting from better light or better scenting is not and cannot be factored into the dog's performance. The fact that a dog has not handled does not imply that it has always had good marks so it is certainly possible that a dog with superior marks throughout the trial and a nice handle on one mark could beat out a dog who had less stellar marking throughout the trial. There are many historical examples of dogs with a handle winning when there were finishers who had not handled but whose overall work was not superior.

#266 ·
mary lynn....i think you handled that very well. The questions that were asked, shouldn't have....
x'2...ml!!

#275 ·
GOOD DAY EVERYONE!!! We are finishing up th 5th Series of the 2012 National Open Retriever Championship today. Stay tuned to see who continues on to the 6th........

Thanks for following the BLOG http://2012nrcblog.theretrievernews.com/

#276 · (Edited)
71 NB
73 H short retired
66 NB
67 H middle retired
74 did it

#278 ·
76 did the test

#282 ·
They are starting to come up now.....79 & 80 just posted.

#284 ·
This is from the blog:

68. FC-AFC Candlewood GoldenDaze Louie “Louie” LM, Chuck Schweikert

Flyer: nice
SR: tumbled on the way out but had a good mark on the bird
LR: got to the area put up a tiny hunt and got it
RR: went over the second mound pushed off left toward the LR and Chuck Handled Louie to the bird clean
So he is listed as a handle...also keep in mind he ran late last night and the worker's party was looming....so....

#286 · (Edited)
Callbacks: 2, 3, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 28, 29, 31, 35, 37, 40, 41, 46, 47, 48, 50, 51, 56, 57, 62, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 74, 76, 77, 79, 80, 81, 82, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91, 92, 93, 96, 99, 101, 103, 105 (total 47)

dogs dropped: 4, 6, 8, 12, 19, 21, 22, 26, 30, 32, 34, 39, 42, 43, 44, 45, 49, 52, 54, 55, 60, 64, 67, 71, 73, 78, 84, 94, 95, 98, 100 (31 total)

Rumor is next series is gonna be a double bind (land/water)

#296 · (Edited)
will that be considered the sixth and seventh series, or just one series ?

if it is a land and water blind, would they have the option of which one you want to tackle first ?

and if so, which one would you choose to run first ? Why

#291 ·
The event traditionally held in November is the National Retriever Championship

The event traditionally held in June is the National Amateur Retriever Championship.

One is limited to amateurs, the other is not.

Not sure why the term "National Open" is needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.