RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

National Blog

173K views 636 replies 145 participants last post by  fetchbrowndog 
#1 ·
So far so good.... Its pretty cool to see all the pictures and blog of the Pre-national training. And that picture of Slider, might be the best picture of a retriever I have ever seen on-line. Hope the trial coverage is as good as this.... or better

#121 ·
After watching a lot of dog work today and running the blind this afternoon, I think it's an excellent blind. Every part requires being on your toes, and as I told Sammie, "Don't take one bit of it for granted!" From the first angle entry to the last second of the exit from the fourth piece of water - it's a challenge. It was definitely a rush to run!

BTW, the out of sight part is not causing any problems that you don't have plenty of time to remedy if your dog felt like running a WB today. :)

#128 ·
Shhhhhh ! Casey really thinks he's black :)

#132 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the constructive criticism and know that we are doing our best. Today we battled with issues on the blogger program not allowing us to post our diagrams and detailed photos of the test. However, we have called tech support and believe we have the issue resolved. Thanks for following and stay tuned for a good test tomorrow......:)

http://2012nrcblog.theretrievernews.com/

#137 ·
Tara you have a thankless job and a tough crowd to please out here in cyberspace. I think all of us really just wish we were there to see all this great dog work for ourselves - so it is never enough ;).

However, I would like to thank you and your team for all your efforts to keep us informed. I personally think you are doing a great job and appreciate the fact that you are working to make this a good resource for those of us who cannot be there. Keep it up!

#134 ·
From looking at the pictures on the blog this morning, the blind doesn't look all that tough for this caliber of dogs. But yet it seems to be.

Wonder what the water temperture is?

#135 ·
Several of the competitiors have commented that not being able to see the dog at a couple of crucial points along the route have made the blind more difficult than it should otherwise be, in addition to wind & temps. It seems that even though the RAC has annually emphasized that tests should be set up with good ability for the handler to see the dog at all times & for the dogs to be able to clearly see the marks thrown that on occasion, theory and practice have some divergence.

#140 ·
I suppose I can understand it when the grounds are very limited, but it seems that those kind of blinds favor dogs that run straight lines over the compliant dogs willing to take casts. Maybe that's OK? I don't know. I might be biased because I'm fresh off of going home early after losing sight of my dog on line and having her come back in sight 30 yards off line.

#138 ·
Dogs dropped in third: 7, 11,18, 25, 33, 61, 72, 75, 83, 90, 97, 102

#141 · (Edited)
4th series is a water/land triple with two retired (water on one bird only for obvious reasons) - short retired on right, thrown to end of point (a duck) catch just a little water. Long retired gun in middle all land (hen) thrown in front of brush pile. Flyer duck on left all land.

Dog 85 handled

#143 ·
Yeah he got dropped... :( I would not use the blog to try and figure out the "why" .

#146 ·
The Blog has a few close up's of the water blind on today's posts...much better view of it in my opinion. Looks like a fun and challenging blind, I'm pretty positive I would of wanted to run it with an collar on Butthead! ;)

#149 ·
Is there a page missing in the blog archives? Myah, #83 was dropped in the 3rd and I can't find a description of her blind in the blog. Anyone know what happened?

JS

#150 ·
Sounds like to me, the blind was a challenge. Good for the judges. Notwithstanding, I have had 3 competitors tell me directly that they would have preferred to be able to see their dogs at a couple of crucial points just after casting. For sure, how a handler copes with the factors to minimize the potential for bad results is part of the challenge. Some handlers rise to the occasion, sometimes some don't. We'd all like another chance with the experince of failure to improve our results.

#152 ·
dog 104 picked up

#153 ·
20 picked up, 24 handle

#154 ·
Would someone clue me in on how to see the posts on the blog that were done earlier than what comes up? There are supposed to be some gallery pics posted yesterday of some of our local trialers who are down for the nationals. The earliest post I can see on yesterday's blog is dog 13 posted at 4:10PM.

I know in past years I've found a link on the left to get to posts posted earlier, can't find it this year. Anyone got any help?

#156 ·
Would someone clue me in on how to see the posts on the blog that were done earlier than what comes up? There are supposed to be some gallery pics posted yesterday of some of our local trialers who are down for the nationals. The earliest post I can see on yesterday's blog is dog 13 posted at 4:10PM.

I know in past years I've found a link on the left to get to posts posted earlier, can't find it this year. Anyone got any help?
I use IE and Mozilla both and both are compatible on my machine, could it be your browser? It is different on my Iphone, no links there at all

#158 ·
Looks like the bales have posted bail! :p:p:p:p

Sorry couldn't help myself!

#160 ·
Smart Alec! For about 13 dogs or so, there was some kind of comment like, refused the water, scratch, huge hunt, sloppy ending, etc.. I was just hoping someone that was there would comment on Cane. A lot of fans here. Certainly no critique of the judges, the test or the decision.

#161 · (Edited)
If I remember correctly, he lost Cane at the end of the water blind.

Actually found it on my phone,
"Cane had 3 whistles to the land bridge. 4 to enter the big water. 3 whistles while swimming to the point then got out of the water on the right shore and all of sudden appeared at the bird."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.