RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

National Blog

173K views 636 replies 145 participants last post by  fetchbrowndog 
#1 ·
So far so good.... Its pretty cool to see all the pictures and blog of the Pre-national training. And that picture of Slider, might be the best picture of a retriever I have ever seen on-line. Hope the trial coverage is as good as this.... or better

#203 · (Edited)
This is what I've been told so far: first dog handled, second dog double handled, 3rd dog switched and 4th dog did it (Diesel and Pleasant) It took them just a little over 10 minutes to complete the test. Also this is 3rd hand info, so I will not update the summary list until I can confirm with a source actually there.

Also note the test got started a little late, too. Plus it is the workers party tonight, so split test for sure.

#204 · (Edited)
I've also been told the test is NOT as tight as the diagram shows, keep in mind these are Marshall sheets that are created during setup week and the judges can/do tweak the setups - this is the catch 22 of showing "us" the diagram - it's just info for us at home to have an idea of what the setup is gonna be, if we complain too much, the powers that be will say don't show us the setup/drawing/diagram...take it with a grain of salt!

The flyer has been moved in according to some one actually there.

#205 ·
Any dog that makes it to the final series is going to have to earn it by the looks of this quad

#207 ·
The blog can NOT compete with txt messaging...it is started, but only shows the Marshall's diagram of the test. No info on the dogs yet. It runs any where from 20-90 minutes behind....

#208 · (Edited)
Dog 12 Picked up
Dog 13 & 14 - no birds
Dog 15 handled

#212 ·
No birds are a factor, rarely are they positive more often they are negative. If there is a particularly difficult gun to pick out a second look might help but the downside is dogs rarely watch the birds the second time as they did the first time. Also keep in mind that if the no bird is on a flyer you do not erase that fall from the dog's memory so if they get a very different flyer than the one the no bird was called on that is a definite disadvantage.

#210 ·
If you go to the callbacks page, it looks like it it being updated faster than the blog can be posted. It shows dogs #4, 8, 12 were picked up and #6HH

#213 ·
Dog 16 (Gunzer and Colonel) did it

(Summary has been updated to the best of my knowledge/information)

#215 ·
silent and verbal casting are merely individual trainer/handler choices, from a judging stand point it does not matter, I do not even note the cast as verbal or silent when I judge

#217 ·

I also follow this approach. That is, I could care less whether a cast is verbal or silent as a judge (but, as a handler, I am always interested in the impact a verbal as opposed to a silent cast has)

#218 ·
dog 21 handeld

#220 ·
#224 ·
This series is bloody so far - 4 pick ups, 3 handles, 1 double handle and no-birds galore. Feel bad for Tie and Moses who got a 2nd no-bird.

#226 ·
I don't follow nationals of any type, but having that blog with interview videos and up-to-date information on each dog's run (as well as one can have it) is way cool. Nice setup.

#227 ·
folks aught to be hitting the dip pretty hard right about now........

#230 ·
#233 ·
Wow those two Middle marks would give an average dog an Anxiety attack 385 and 398 yard marks running into each other theoretically the dog could probably take the same route out to both birds

#234 ·
Wow, sorry to read about #43 - Ed Forry picked her up because she was too hot from hunting the other birds...what a heart break :( for those cheering Piper on....good for Ed on doing what was right for the dog.

#238 ·
I've never been to a hunt test where a layout blind was used. Sometimes judges specific an order and mostly they don't.

#239 ·
Sometimes judges specific an order and mostly they don't.
This would not be for marks in an AKC retriever hunting test or field trial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.