RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

National Blog

173K views 636 replies 145 participants last post by  fetchbrowndog 
#1 ·
So far so good.... Its pretty cool to see all the pictures and blog of the Pre-national training. And that picture of Slider, might be the best picture of a retriever I have ever seen on-line. Hope the trial coverage is as good as this.... or better

#341 ·
Here is an example of "don't believe everything you read"

# 54; Baker 4th series: flyer, front footed it; RR, wide left of bales to stay dry, hooked to bird;
MR, left of bales, picked up bird quick. 5th series: flyer, smacked it; SR, took off under arc to left
of hold. blind, then right, a hunt, finally got bird; LR, stepped on it; RR, straight to bird ... DROPPED.

# 42; Gonia 4th series; flyer very nice; RR, went out dry, came back wet for an accurate mark;
MR, wide left of brush, out of sight, came up with bird. 5th series: flyer stepped on it; SR, went in
looking for bird came up with it quick; LR, straight as an arrow to bird; RR, carried to right edge
of 3 mounds and smashed it. DROPPED.

I am sure the reporting was accurate, but without looking at the whole body of work,without being there.....I think that is why the last couple of years when the winner has been announced there is a gentle thud, and a hush of silence, from the RTF, because we are all guilty of cheering for certain connections, and jumping to conclusions when the least little bit of info comes our way....

as a wise man told all of us " not all handles are equal at a National"...

#342 ·
I'm hooked on the blog and I think they've done a great job for a brief, spur of the moment update on a particular run. All week I've been thinking about how stressful this must be for everyone involved. The judges have to wiped out at the end of the day. Dedication from all aspects!

#343 ·
What are the relative merits of:
front footed it, smacked it, stepped on it, stomped it, hit it hard, smashed it, straight as an arrow, perfect, excellent, nice mark, nice, excellent, good mark, straight to the bird, picked up the bird clean?

#347 ·
The 6th is done, 7th is gonna be land marks with an honor.

#348 ·
They didn't say anything about callbacks........did everyone make it through the 6th?? Cant tell from the blog that anyone really struggled with the blind.

#350 ·
They lost four dogs.

#351 ·
3 62 81 91 dropped after 6th.

#352 ·
Dog 65 will start the 7th, looks to be a triple in a hay field...

#358 ·
The 7th series: Short, flyer (left) then right gun.

Thanks Lynn! ;)

#368 ·
That is amazing! Staring at it on a computer screen, it looks just like a set up we used to train on all the time back in SC. Maybe 5 times on Sunday! And yet this seems to be tearing up the field. From now on, I don't think I can trust ANYTHING I see on a computer. It must look entirely different to the guys on the scene.

#359 ·
66 double handle
68 handle
69 double handle

#360 · (Edited)
70 no bird
74 PU
76 Handle

#363 ·
Well, looks like they are struggling now, Chris.

Judy

#364 ·
Correction - 69 is actually a pick up

#367 ·
77 handled
79 did it

#369 ·
80 is a PU

#371 ·
Paul, maybe you ought to consider adding this or something like it to your training set ups. It is clear that it is a demanding concept from the results the competitors are having. I really do not think it matters if you do it in Cheraw, SC or somewhere in WA. I was fortunate enough to train with someone that saw the value in exposing me and my dogs to the set up. As I was saying, it is eye opening to see how very different this is in real life than the way it looks on the net.

#379 ·
2Tall, this is a common marking concept called an inverted triple. This is a tough, tough test. You have a flier long stand up with a short retired hen pheasant. The fall lands darn near inline with the long stand up flier guns. when the dog is approaching the short retired all he see's is the flier guns, I haven't met a dog that didn't want that flier apposed to the dead, it takes alot of training and a good dog. They'll run right over the top of that shirt retired with no conscious. Does this test show great marking? I'll reserve my comment... Happy has attempted this test a few hundred times, his success ratio is very low though:):)

#373 ·
Nothing "EASY" about it! Thats why our trainer made us get it right!!!!! It was just a shock to see something so familiar here on the National thread!

#375 · (Edited)
70 got a second no bird...
82 handle
86 no bird

#377 ·
It looks like there has been only 1 dog do the test without a handle or pick up so far. Has there ever been a test scrapped in a national? Just wondering...

#378 ·
Two dogs have done it without a handle: 65 and 79 so far

87 handle

#380 ·
looks like the judges have done a masterful job of "hiding" the birds in "plain sight"...beautifully done compounded by the use of hen pheasants and one thrown on the heels of the flyer station...there will be no lining to these marks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.