The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best check cord

Smile best check cord

The check cord I am using is not as flexible as I would like. Would like to make my own and would like to know what kind of rope worked the best for you. I was going to use the word limp to describe the check cord but was but thought some replies would be on the jokester side.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I like the red or blue 1/2 inch poly in 100 foot bundle from home cheapo.
    of course if you roll it wet and let it freeze it will be stiff as any. but normal working condition it is very nice.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    The check cord I am using is not as flexible as I would like. Would like to make my own and would like to know what kind of rope worked the best for you. I was going to use the word limp to describe the check cord but was but thought some replies would be on the jokester side.
    3/8 inch poly ski rope. You can get a kit at your local department store or hardware store; 100 feet of rope with a tool to weave a swivel snap on one end, and a brass ring on the other. Store it on an extension cord roller - very tidy and efficient. And on the roller they don't get tangled, twisted, or turn into a mess.

poly rope with tool.jpgSpool.jpg

Ski rope also floats and lasts for decades. My ropes are over 20 years old, and are in excellent shape.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Ken and I discussed this not long ago. I've made several check cords and have a rope that so far, I like best.

I am pretty sure this is what I'm using:

I have made several with different types of rope. This stuff from my local Ace hardware is flexible but not too floppy. I can roll cast a loop of it up and over something, or flip the loop up and around the dog if needed. It does not readily delaminate or untwist. It is fairly slick. Low friiction rope is good, as it is less abrasive for rope burns on my or my pup's skin. It also slides around posts and trees well.

I like to tie one of these swivel snaps on the end, then finish it with a wrap of electrical tape to make it smooth and totally cover the knot. I'd suggest you just experiment and make a few up. You'll probably find a favorite. Ken likes 1/2 inch, I like 3/8.

"Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

You know Evan, mine may be 3/8 not 1/2. I know it is snug but goes through the standard training bumper rope hole.
    I find the modern poly rope also floats and is often 1/2 the price of actual ski rope but got nothing but respect for being able to keep a rope for 20 yrs! That is equipment care right there kids!!!!
    and yes tangled rope sucks

edit, found mine
    Last edited by Ken Bora; 11-09-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    ...... a brass ring on the other...........

Evan

and I very much like the dumb end of mine to be smooth, plain, burned and or taped, no knot. I have done stuff on the dumb end and this is just what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    and I very much like the dumb end of mine to be smooth, plain, burned and or taped, no knot. I have done stuff on the dumb end and this is just what I like.
    This is my preference as well. I want it totally smooth so there's less chance of it wedging in a "v" of a branch or hanging up on any cover. No knots, no loops on the end opposite the dog collar.

I also find that this rope I'm using now is extremely low tangle. I just coil it up at the end of a session, leave about 3 feet at the end and wrap the coil with several wraps, ending with the clip and choke chain. The next time I use it, I unwrap the chain and the few wraps, and throw the coil out away from me. It typically lands with no knots or tangles and is ready for use.

I do use Evan's extension cord reel for another application: I keep one in my decoy bag for my diver decoy mainline.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I knew I had the wrong size and kind of rope. I kept getting knots and tangles. Almost get a finger in a loop a couple times and it made me think to get another kind of rope. I think I will go with the 3/8". When you tape the end do you do extra on very end like a hockey stick?
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    When you tape the end do you do extra on very end like a hockey stick?
    No .... if you are thinking of creating the multiple tape winds to creat the "bump" at the end of the stick so that the stick doesn't slip through your gloves. This is why both Ken and Chris referred to having the end taped smooth with no excess lump on the end of the rope. You do not want to create a lump or loop that could get hung up if the pup is running through brush dragging the check cord.
    Last edited by The Snows; 11-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    That's what I use - I keep a roll of it in the truck and a few extra snap clips - i can make a check cord faster than you can say "uncle" (okay not really, but dang close!) I look for this type of rope to go on sale, you can never have too much rope...also I don't like the "plastic" rope cause it pokes my hand once it starts to get "used" and the rope burns from it is worse for me....

note: i do use the poly rope to make "tabs" though, super easy to make!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot