The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best check cord

I had a really nice one they gave away one time at an event it was one of those para-cord braid, with knotts and comfy in the hand flexible. Only the braider choose to use an el-cheapo small hook, one of them lasted for 2 dogs, the other 2 times out before it shattered, had a nice feeling rope no hook, no way to attach a new hook. Your standard yellow rope works fine, a little ruff on the hands, but last forever, very easy to replace pieces, but I haven't needed to replace one yet.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Take a look at these check cords. They work great! Couldn't get the picture to work...

http://www.gundogsupply.com/plastic-check-cords.html

Flat woven tendon used for pulling utility lines. Sorry Bora. Its superior. Lol.

Chris,
    NO to the Knot and Tape thing.

It's very simple to do a splice with a plastic Fid tool to connect your snap. Use this same technique for making your training tabs too.

This is the first example came up on search. see pic top left.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Ar.../EyeSplice.htm
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

http://www.mistypinesdogpark.com/sto...heck_Cord.html

This is the type I like. You can make your own. they stay flexible and the dog can drag it around without getting tangled. Mine is a 35 footer so I can always get the cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Chris,
    NO to the Knot and Tape thing.

It's very simple to do a splice with a plastic Fid tool to connect your snap. Use this same technique for making your training tabs too.

This is the first example came up on search. see pic top left.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Ar.../EyeSplice.htm
    I like the look of those. I'd like to try one sometime. Ironically, the knot that I use (that I then tape up) is the bowline! I tie the knot the second way shown in the video, but I thread the rope through the swivel first. My grandfather taught me the bowline when I was a little kid. He did it the same way...the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, and goes back down the hole....

"Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

The ends of my bumpers with the plastic rope, I tie a knot and burn the loose end so it does not fray. Could you do your check cord like that?

IMG_0052.jpg
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

It's totally up to the individual. This is not a big issue on whether or not you do one thing or another with your rope ends. But I've been using a small brass ring on the ends of mine for over 20 years so i have the flexibility to add another length of rope if needed. The reason is that most of the time I'm only using my 25 footer. But I have another longer one on the spool that i can add easily. I can honestly say in over 20 years of use the ring never hung up or caused a problem. But there are certainly other options.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    I knew I had the wrong size and kind of rope. I kept getting knots and tangles. Almost get a finger in a loop a couple times and it made me think to get another kind of rope. I think I will go with the 3/8". When you tape the end do you do extra on very end like a hockey stick?

I just try to tape it to make a nice, smooth transition. I actually started taping the knot when I could not figure out how to make that nice spliced-looking loop that Breck posted. I'm going to try that.

If I were to slice a cord and connect it to another, I'd tie a nice, tight knot, trim off the excess ends, and wrap the joint with tape just like this knot. I remember being told long ago, to let a puppy drag a piece of rope when you train...but make sure the end is free of loops or knots. I personally have chosen to incorporate this idea.

I'd be lying though if I said i'd never run a dog on marks or otherwise dragging a conventional dog leash with a loop on the end....I've done it.

Here's the taped knot on the rope I'm using this morning:

IMG-20121110-00089[1].jpg
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Flat woven tendon used for pulling utility lines. Sorry Bora. Its superior. Lol.
    I do not know of this.
    can you show me this new rope?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin