The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The CATO Institute

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Gooser that was an interesting read but not relevant to this election, both parties put up anti-gun candidates which basically makes this argument a mute point. The second amendment was off the table because both candidates had the same view.

You have got to be kidding!!!

From The Romney campain:

PRESIDENTIAL PLATFORM:
    PHILOSOPHICAL VIEW:

“As the Supreme Court has recently reaffirmed, the Second Amendment protects a basic and fundamental individual right—the right to bear arms... and when I am president, I will do all in my power to defend and protect the right of all law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms.”
    MittRomney.com - Oct 4, 2012

“I support the Second Amendment as one of the most basic and fundamental rights of every American.” (Governor Mitt Romney)
    National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF.org) - Candidates Speak - Sep 24, 2007

“Let me speak very directly and candidly about where I stand. I support the Second Amendment as one of the most basic and fundamental rights of every American. It's essential to our functioning as a free society, as are all the liberties enumerated in the Bill of Rights...
    “As president, I'll honor the right of decent law abiding citizens to own and use firearms in defense of their families, their property and for all other lawful purposes, including the common defense.”
    NRA-ILA - Sep 10, 2007

pbworks.com - Mitt Romney & Guns

“The Second Amendment protects the individual right of lawful citizens to keep and bear arms. I strongly support this essential freedom and I applaud the recent federal appeals court decision in Washington, D.C., which concluded that the Second Amendment protects an individualized right to keep and bear arms. As President, I will support that interpretation and protect the right of every law abiding American to keep and use firearms. With respect to gun control laws, I believe we need to distinguish between law abiding gun owners and criminals who use guns. Those who use a firearm during the commission of a crime must be punished severely. The key is to provide law enforcement with the resources they need and punish criminals, not burden lawful gun owners.” (Mitt Romney)
    The Washington Post - Mitt Romney on the Issues - Campaign 2008

STRATEGY:

“I'll ask Congress to repeal the McCain-Fiengold law which sought to impose restrictions on the First Amendment rights of groups like the NRA to advocate for issues we care about. Some parts have already been declared unconstitutional. We ought to get rid of the entire bill.
    “Finally, let me say that one of the most active fronts in the fight to preserve our Second Amendment rights today is being waged in the courts. Lawsuits have been filed seeking to take away the individual's right to bear arms. We have to look no further than the Parker case. I hope the Roberts court takes the Parker case and upholds the Bill of Rights to protect gun owners everywhere. I've made it clear that I'll appoint judges who believe in strictly interpreting the Constitution, judges in the mold of Roberts, Alito, Scalia and Thomas. It's simply wrong for judges to legislate from the bench. They should follow the law in the Constitution, not make new law.
    “And I know that good judges aren't our only defense in the courts. We need tort reform as well. That's the way we fight the back door attempt to ban guns by bankrupting manufacturers.
    “The right to bear arms is the cornerstone of our personal freedoms.
    “It's a constitutional guarantee passed down to us by the founders.
    “And it helps keep us the land of the free and the home of the brave.”
    Speaking to members of the National Rifle Association, he continued:
    “The message of my campaign is that we need to strengthen America. We need a stronger military, stronger families and a stronger economy. The work you do helps keep America strong. Thank you, may God bless you. And may God continue to bless the United States of America.”
    youtube.com - NRA-ILA video - Sep 21, 2007

W POST: “Do you think tighter restrictions should be in place for those buying a firearm?”
    ROMNEY: “No. I believe we need to focus on enforcing our current laws rather than creating new laws that burden lawful gun owners. I believe in safe and responsible gun ownership and that anyone who exercises the right to keep and bear arms must do so lawfully and properly. I do not believe in a one-size-fits-all federal approach to gun ownership because people keep and use firearms for different reasons. Law-abiding citizens have a right to protect their homes and their families and as President, I will vigorously defend that right.”
    The Washington Post - Mitt Romney on the Issues - Campaign 2008

“ "When it comes to protecting the Second Amendment, I do not support any new gun laws including any new ban on semi-automatic firearms. As President, I will follow President Bush's precedent of opposing any laws that go beyond the restrictions in place when I take office. The laws I do and will support include decades-old restrictions on weapons of unusual lethality like grenades, rocket launchers, fully automatic firearms and what are legally known as destructive devices and would include similar restrictions on new and exotic weapons of similar or even greater lethality. I am proud of my record of defending life and the Second Amendment."
    “Dec. 30, 2007 Mitt Romney”
    2008election.procon.org - Are more federal regulations on guns and ammunition needed?

“Governor Romney has stated that he would not reinstate that Assault Weapons Ban. In fact, Governor Romney does not support any new gun laws including a ban on semi-automatic firearms. He would consider limitations on weapons of unusual lethality like grenades, rocket launchers, fully automatic firearms and what are legally known as destructive weapons.”
    Targeted News Service - The Real Romney Record - Dec 30, 2007

While I agree the Romney has had issues in the past,, the Election was about a choice!!

A choice between the attitude of OBAMA,, and the choice of a candidte that directly supports the second ammendment..Romney isnt going to the U.N. (small arms treaty act) or the OAS treaty.. he is on record of supporting the second ammendment,, not trying to eliminate it..

It was a choice sir!

For a Guy Like Franco,, who in other threads has said that Democrats are more about LIBERTY than a Republican has ever thought of being...
    It makes me wonder how he ever came to that conclusion when President Obama is seriously suggesting act like the ones I mentioned...

It suggests that,, If he realises that a vote for a third party is a vote for President Obama ,,, and if he realises he really only has a choice between the 2 parties,,,and the fact he says he believes the Democrats are more about LIBERTY than the repubs,,, well then he voted democrat.....

Weather he pulled the lever for a LIBERTARIAN or not,,, His vote was Democrat,, and he was fine with that,, because he has said the Democratic party is more about LIBERTY than the RePUBLICAN...

He doesent care!!

INSTEAD,,,he calls me stupid... All he has,,, is to state the Obviouse????

I'm sure all you smart guys on RTF has figgered out Gooser aint bright..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

First. lets start with the truth. Though I am NOt an Obama supporter, this is his stance on Gun Control.

Second Obama-Romney 2012 Presidential debate : on Gun Control

Barack Obama: I believe in 2nd Amendment, but not war weapons on streets

Q: In 2008, you stated you wanted to keep AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.
    OBAMA: We're a nation that believes in the Second Amendment, and I believe in the Second Amendment. We've got a long tradition of hunting and sportsmen and people who want to make sure they can protect themselves. My belief is that we have to enforce the laws we've already got, make sure that we're keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, those who are mentally ill. We've done a much better job in terms of background checks, but we've got more to do when it comes to enforcement. But weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don't belong on our streets. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there's an awful lot of violence and they're not using AK-47s. They're using cheap hand guns. Source: Second Obama-Romney 2012 debate Oct 16, 2012

It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Second, the Dems do represent personal Liberties much more so than the Repubs. If anything, the Repubs do not believe in equal rights for all Americans, just read their political platform!

Just look at how long it took the Repubs to come around with Civil Rights! Now, they want to treat people who happen to love one another but because they are of the same sex, as second class citizens.

If the Repubs truly embraced Liberty, they would adopt the policy of, Live and Let Live! And, not condem people because they they don't fit into their idea of right and wrong.

Add the fact that the Repubs are all about Crony Capitalism, big government and over-spending and you have a political party more than willing to take away your Freedom!
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    The reality is that the Teas took it in the shorts on Election Day and helped Obama win!
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/...heir-win-video
    The Christian Science Monitor, along with the Wall Street Journal, has become irrelevant because they have tried to become fair & balanced - which means they have passed the point of sanity into looney land. My apologies to the loonies .

I was very happy that we ended up with Romney-Ryan as a slate - apparently a significant portion of fly over country was also - I believe they had a very good message, & I am certain some of the ills will be corrected during the current POTUS's term as they had many good ideas .

Most of these campaigns are self financed, both sides, so sometimes the choice of who will be the bearer comes down to who has the scratch. In our own state the MSFT crowd is taking their stock option money, most of which one could make a great case for it being undeserved, & using it to buy elections. Usually as D's . Why was it that Romney's wealth, earned through sound business practices was an issue, but in the last election John Kerry's (unearned because he married into it) wealth which was 3 times Romney's was a non issue? It was because the MSM doesn't report & most folks are too lazy to dig out the facts . A significant number of posters on this forum & Franco's unintelligible rants are proof of that .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Gooser, 8 years ago when Romney held a press conference to sign his weapons ban he stood up at the podium and said
    “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”
    . That sounds like anti-gun to me, and it fly's in the face to what he's been saying to win the election, you can put lipstick on a pig...................

It's obvious to me the Tea Party was quickly consumed by the Republican Party. They fell in line and have been silenced. The Republican establishment couldn't afford to allow the TP to educate a large chunk of its voting block. In my little piece of the world, I saw one Tea Party ad which was on FB. It said, click "like" if you think Ann Romney would make a great First Lady. What a joke they've become.

For fans of the Cato Institute, you might give Mises.org a try. Libertarian, Austrian economics and Anarcho-capitalism all in one. Conservatism with a free market, non intervention theme.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    It's obvious to me the Tea Party was quickly consumed by the Republican Party. They fell in line and have been silenced. The Republican establishment couldn't afford to allow the TP to educate a large chunk of its voting block. In my little piece of the world, I saw one Tea Party ad which was on FB. It said, click "like" if you think Ann Romney would make a great First Lady. What a joke they've become.
    If you are an R donor you would notice that there was an attempt by individuals to commercialize the movement - I have had several which I have conveniently placed where they belong. The thought process behind the movement & the spontaneity are/were a strong showing of a desire of normal folks to be part of the process. There is no requirement for membership so the movement will have it's fair share of less than desirables. At the risk of being repetitious, one only need look at this forum. If each of us could vote 3 people off who would they be. & in the end, who would be left to have a discussion with .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    The Christian Science Monitor, along with the Wall Street Journal, has become irrelevant because they have tried to become fair & balanced - which means they have passed the point of sanity into looney land. My apologies to the loonies .

I was very happy that we ended up with Romney-Ryan as a slate - apparently a significant portion of fly over country was also - I believe they had a very good message, & I am certain some of the ills will be corrected during the current POTUS's term as they had many good ideas .

Most of these campaigns are self financed, both sides, so sometimes the choice of who will be the bearer comes down to who has the scratch. What cave have you been living in? Adelson alone contributed more than 10 million this last campaign. There was more Speical Interest money floating around this past election than at any time in our history. And, it all went to the Dems and Repubs in buying influence. In our own state the MSFT crowd is taking their stock option money, most of which one could make a great case for it being undeserved, & using it to buy elections. Usually as D's . Why was it that Romney's wealth, earned through sound business practices was an issue, but in the last election John Kerry's (unearned because he married into it) wealth which was 3 times Romney's was a non issue? I said the same thing here on RTF. I also said that being a Venture Capitalist was not a prequalification for the job. It was because the MSM doesn't report & most folks are too lazy to dig out the facts . A significant number of posters on this forum & Franco's unintelligible rants are proof of that when you can't beat them in a debate, just insult them! You have no Cred, typical. .
    my comments in red!

Minn guy.
    like I said, Romney not perfect, but between the two choices,

you done see a guy that takes an OATH to uphold the constitution,then entered into talks with UN thugs,on the small arms treaty,and promotes osa

the man wants to have reasonae regulation on guns that include reloaders to have a manufacturers license,to keep records of every round reloaded.

wants you to be required to have that same license to mount a scope on that harmless recreational rif of yours.

this is his reasonable regulation he talks about when he states

I believe in the second amendment, as long as it includes reasonable regulation.

The man took an OATH

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"