The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Best Book or Learning Material to use to start training?

Default Best Book or Learning Material to use to start training?

I'm planning on getting a retriever, probably a golden, within the next year or so who will serve as a family dog and also as a waterfowl hunter. Are there any books or learning materials that you feel would be helpful for me to purchase in preparation for bringing the little guy home? I plan on doing most of the hunting training myself.

Thanks for your thoughts!

There are several good puppy training dvds: Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens and Training a Retriever Puppy by Bill Hillman.

From these you can transition to:

Total Retriever Training, 2d ed, by Mike Lardy
    Smartworks by Evan Graham
    Fowldogs by Rick S.

I use TRT but some first time trainers find Smartworks easier. I think Fowldogs is the cheapest.

Mike Lardy also has published his Retriever Journal articles in three volumes which are only $25 each.

The Lardy and Mertens information is available a YBS media. Graham and Hillman have their own website for sales.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Get these ideas understood before you look at a retriever program

http://leerburg.com/flix/videodesc.php?id=529
    Darrin Greene

And check this out for fun too, it's pretty amazing

http://leerburg.com/flix/videodesc.php?id=701
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Get these ideas understood before you look at a retriever program

http://leerburg.com/flix/videodesc.php?id=529
    x2 on checking out Michael Ellis's stuff. My pup has been raised through his system, and I LOVE how she's turning out. Ellis is a really talented trainer, he knows learning theory, he knows dogs, and he's an engaging speaker. One nice thing about his training DVDs is that in addition to seeing him and some other experienced trainers in action, you also see some inexperienced trainers working their dogs. You can learn a huge amount about what's important by seeing some of the things people do wrong, and watching Ellis coach them. His training DVDs are less cookbook-like than some, in the sense that he usually gets into some learning theory, or explains how he might adapt his approach for different types of dogs, in addition to showing you the mechanics of how to train the behavior. His collar conditioning videos are first rate.

You might also consider some general books about dog behavior and how dogs learn. Some good ones include "Excel-Erated Learning" by Pamela Reid, "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, Raymond and Lorna Coppinger's book on the evolution of dogs, and "For the Love of a Dog" by Patricia McConnell. I haven't read this one yet, but "Inside of a Dog" by Alexandra Horowitz gets really good reviews. The more you can learn about dogs before your puppy comes home, the happier you both will be.

I second Total Retriever Training, 2d ed, by Mike Lardy. I asked my local Library to purchase this program and they were willing to do so since they don't have extensive material in dog training. I have been using this method for two weeks only and it's amazing how I am learning just as much as my dog.
    Ishmael The Philosopher

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    There are several good puppy training dvds: Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens and Training a Retriever Puppy by Bill Hillman.

From these you can transition to:

Total Retriever Training, 2d ed, by Mike Lardy
    Smartworks by Evan Graham
    Fowldogs by Rick S.

I use TRT but some first time trainers find Smartworks easier. I think Fowldogs is the cheapest.

Mike Lardy also has published his Retriever Journal articles in three volumes which are only $25 each.

The Lardy and Mertens information is available a YBS media. Graham and Hillman have their own website for sales.

Hope this helps.
    I could not agree more with Wayne’s assessment of these training series.

Be prepared to take notes while you watch, take it slow and watch only a chapter/section at a time, and go back and rewatch most, if not all of it, as you are actually training your dog.

I would also recommend checking out local obedience classes and finding one that has puppy classes that you can sign up for. That socialization and early training is very important.

Remember obedience is the key to a great retriever.