The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying my puppy? Need some advice!

Default Flying my puppy? Need some advice!

"Mama's Still Believe In Miracles" a.k.a. Mira has been born and bought! She will be ready to leave her birth home in St. Louis and head to NW Louisiana on Dec. 7 (I'm all about that 49th day!). We've looked at multiple methods of getting her here. Southwest flies directly from St. Louis to Dallas-Love and to Little Rock, both about 3 1/2 hrs drive for me; but I'd have to drive, fly, fly back, drive home. Could fly her from STL directly into Memphis, but 5 1/2 hr drive in either direction for me. Could fly her Delta Dash from STL via Memphis on into Shreveport. BUT...I am worried to death about her making the connection in MEM. There's a 2 hour layover, but Delta assures me she will be well-cared for during the loading process and during the connecting process. Flying her directly into Shreveport on that Friday would be ideal...she would arrive about 3:00 pm and since I am a teacher, I can pick her up right after school and be with her all weekend before I have to return to school on Monday. (My husband is home during the day.)

Have any of you flown your new pups on a connecting flight? Problems? Praises?
    Please reassure this new "mama"!
    Cindy

Try the personal services of Kati Becker with Move the Dog transportation. I was very pleased.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Hi Cindy,
    I have shipped pups before and since you mentioned the 49-day thing was important to you, thought I'd mention that it's against the law to ship a pup under 8 weeks. It's a law I happen to agree with--I used to let people pick up their pups between 7 & 8 wks., but have found pups ship and travel in general much better if they're 8 or 9 weeks. It won't affect your bonding with the pup one bit. That old 49-day rule is only important if you're getting a totally unsocialized pup born under a barn and lacking any human contact til it's sold/goes to new home. Every reputable breeder I know spends considerable time socializing their puppies and preparing them for their new lives.

The main reason it's easier on the pups to ship at 8 wks. or later is that extra week makes a huge difference in how long they can go between peeing and pooping. That is a generalization and it varies from pup to pup and litter to litter, but it's something I've noticed as I start crate training my pups before they leave, mainly by gradually lengthening the time they can stay crated without fussing to get out and do their business. By 8 wks., most can go 6 hrs. easily and I've also heard from puppy buyers that they cry less and adapt faster to life without their mama and siblings.

That said, a direct flight is always preferable but rarely available when I've had to ship and only a couple of pups have missed connections. They were well cared for by the shipping company and seemed to suffer no ill effects. Talk to your breeder and decide which option is best for you and your pup. If you insist on getting your pup at 7 wks., you'll probably have to make the flight up/back as pups shipped as cargo have to have a USDA health certificate and be 8 wks. old.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Look into flying from where you are to St. Louis, then returning home with pup as carry on.
    Oftentimes, the price is comparable to shipping home with you.

1. The cost of carry on for pup is $75.
    2. Age of pups is not an issue when you carry on.
    3. You don't have to pay for a crate ($50-75) if you already have a soft sided carrier
    4. You are with pup the whole time

I have done this on a couple of occasions, without any mishaps
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I second what Howard said- If possible, she should not transfer planes.... I think it was FOM on here-who had a heck of a story with a pup who was shipped,and wasnt it the transfer that caused the mixup? Maybe FOM will help me here...
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    I second what Howard said- If possible, she should not transfer planes.... I think it was FOM on here-who had a heck of a story with a pup who was shipped,and wasnt it the transfer that caused the mixup? Maybe FOM will help me here...
    The breeder shipped two litter mates on the same day - one yellow one black, one going to Denver, one to Nashville...Delta screwed up and put the stickers on them backwards...after over 12 hours flight time, Rascal came out just fine!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    The breeder shipped two litter mates on the same day - one yellow one black, one going to Denver, one to Nashville...Delta screwed up and put the stickers on them backwards...after over 12 hours flight time, Rascal came out just fine!
    Though didn't you grow a few extra gray hairs over the whole ordeal

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Thanks FOM! I knew I had it somewhat wrong! .......
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    Look into flying from where you are to St. Louis, then returning home with pup as carry on.
    Oftentimes, the price is comparable to shipping home with you.

1. The cost of carry on for pup is $75.
    2. Age of pups is not an issue when you carry on.
    3. You don't have to pay for a crate ($50-75) if you already have a soft sided carrier
    4. You are with pup the whole time

I have done this on a couple of occasions, without any mishaps
    Ted, when the pup travels in the cabin I assume the pup in the soft side carrier has to be stowed under the seat in front of you during take off and landing. Have you had any issues with the size of pup and amount of space under the seat ahead of you?

J.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Definitely agree with what Ted mentioned and if that isn't an option definitely call Kati Becker. Just my .02.