RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Flying my puppy? Need some advice!

8K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  DogsandHorses 
#1 ·
"Mama's Still Believe In Miracles" a.k.a. Mira has been born and bought! She will be ready to leave her birth home in St. Louis and head to NW Louisiana on Dec. 7 (I'm all about that 49th day!). We've looked at multiple methods of getting her here. Southwest flies directly from St. Louis to Dallas-Love and to Little Rock, both about 3 1/2 hrs drive for me; but I'd have to drive, fly, fly back, drive home. Could fly her from STL directly into Memphis, but 5 1/2 hr drive in either direction for me. Could fly her Delta Dash from STL via Memphis on into Shreveport. BUT...I am worried to death about her making the connection in MEM. There's a 2 hour layover, but Delta assures me she will be well-cared for during the loading process and during the connecting process. Flying her directly into Shreveport on that Friday would be ideal...she would arrive about 3:00 pm and since I am a teacher, I can pick her up right after school and be with her all weekend before I have to return to school on Monday. (My husband is home during the day.)

Have any of you flown your new pups on a connecting flight? Problems? Praises?
Please reassure this new "mama"!

#3 ·
Hi Cindy,
I have shipped pups before and since you mentioned the 49-day thing was important to you, thought I'd mention that it's against the law to ship a pup under 8 weeks. It's a law I happen to agree with--I used to let people pick up their pups between 7 & 8 wks., but have found pups ship and travel in general much better if they're 8 or 9 weeks. It won't affect your bonding with the pup one bit. That old 49-day rule is only important if you're getting a totally unsocialized pup born under a barn and lacking any human contact til it's sold/goes to new home. Every reputable breeder I know spends considerable time socializing their puppies and preparing them for their new lives.

The main reason it's easier on the pups to ship at 8 wks. or later is that extra week makes a huge difference in how long they can go between peeing and pooping. That is a generalization and it varies from pup to pup and litter to litter, but it's something I've noticed as I start crate training my pups before they leave, mainly by gradually lengthening the time they can stay crated without fussing to get out and do their business. By 8 wks., most can go 6 hrs. easily and I've also heard from puppy buyers that they cry less and adapt faster to life without their mama and siblings.

That said, a direct flight is always preferable but rarely available when I've had to ship and only a couple of pups have missed connections. They were well cared for by the shipping company and seemed to suffer no ill effects. Talk to your breeder and decide which option is best for you and your pup. If you insist on getting your pup at 7 wks., you'll probably have to make the flight up/back as pups shipped as cargo have to have a USDA health certificate and be 8 wks. old.

#4 ·
Look into flying from where you are to St. Louis, then returning home with pup as carry on.
Oftentimes, the price is comparable to shipping home with you.

1. The cost of carry on for pup is $75.
2. Age of pups is not an issue when you carry on.
3. You don't have to pay for a crate ($50-75) if you already have a soft sided carrier
4. You are with pup the whole time

I have done this on a couple of occasions, without any mishaps

#9 ·
Ted, when the pup travels in the cabin I assume the pup in the soft side carrier has to be stowed under the seat in front of you during take off and landing. Have you had any issues with the size of pup and amount of space under the seat ahead of you?

J.

#5 ·
I second what Howard said- If possible, she should not transfer planes.... I think it was FOM on here-who had a heck of a story with a pup who was shipped,and wasnt it the transfer that caused the mixup? Maybe FOM will help me here...

#6 ·
The breeder shipped two litter mates on the same day - one yellow one black, one going to Denver, one to Nashville...Delta screwed up and put the stickers on them backwards...after over 12 hours flight time, Rascal came out just fine!

#7 ·
Though didn't you grow a few extra gray hairs over the whole ordeal

#11 ·
Is driving out of the question? Not sure where you are, but isn't Shreveport to St. Louis only about 9 hrs?

#12 ·
Last puppy I picked up I flew from Vegas to Atlanta, a very good friend of mine picked up my puppy for me in SC and then picked me up at the airport. I flew back to Vegas the next day with the puppy as carry on bag. She was a big girl but she fit under the seat in front of me just fine. I believe there maybe a weight limit for dogs in carry on but double check with the airline.

I have also had them shipped but try to make it a non stop flight even if I have to drive several hours, less chance of the puppy getting lost. And I have also driven 12+ hours to pick up a puppy, that by far is the best way to do it, less tress on everyone.

#18 ·
I believe there maybe a weight limit for dogs in carry on but double check with the airline.

There is, it is 25#'s I do believe. I just went through this just this past July. Someone from New Jersey flew in to Illinois to pick a pup up and turned around and flew back to New Jersey two hours later.
He made it a one day trip and brought no luggage with him when I met him at the airport with the pup.

#14 ·
I flew home with a puppy (7 wks) in a soft sided dog carrier form Dallas to Buffalo with a stop over in Detroit. No one even knew there was a puppy under my seat. He got to air out well outside before entering the terminal, let him run around a bit in the boarding area, everybody loved him. Put him in his "carry-on" kennel (it's like a gym bag with mesh sides) got on the plane and he slept the entire time. Way less stressful than anticipated and was actually quite enjoyable. Your call fly out and get him/her.

#15 ·
Thanks, guys! I just haven't had a peace about the connecting flight situation. Looks like I'm going to drive to Dallas, fly to St. Louis, make the "great puppy swap", fly back to Dallas and drive home. Doesn't hurt that I love Dallas, so an early morning trip over the day before and the opportunity to do a little shopping is by no means a bad thing! :)

#17 ·
And what a great bond is started between you and pupppy on that trip. I did it once-with my black boy Trooper and would do it again if I could- but it will depend on how far it is-

#21 ·
You really should try Move THe Dog Transportation. They specialize in pups and direct travel.....door to door....I've heard that they have moved close to a hundred pups this year alone. They have three trucks, all driven and care given by known FT people. And the pups have been pups from hunting stock to Grady's pups to the whole litter of Grady x Flipper last spring..... you should call them....north south is a daily drive right now for them. I think they are parked at the National this week....but call Kati.....if she can she will do the best. 515-783-2241

#23 ·
Kati is normally very responsive, I know she's on the road now in TX. I'd suggest trying again and making sure you have the correct contact info. She has been very good for getting dogs around for me and others I know.

#29 ·
I am using United PetSafe for two and Delta for another. Have used Delta in the past and no problems....always direct flight only!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.