RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Free Dirt ends in dissaster for dump truck

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  wayne anderson 
#1 ·
I got 30 loads of free dirt to raise a low area on my dog training place in Thomasville. I guided every truck into the area, while I was talking to the job boss, one driver decided to take a short cut across one of my dikes.

After my daughter (4 year old) and I drove over, she looked at the driver and said you were not supposed to cross this culvert, I about died laughing. The poor driver just said yes I was supposed go go up the hill and drive around. See attached pictures

The owner of the truck showed up and hit the roof, tomorrow a large wrecker is supposed to be here, i also explained to the owner that if he bent my 36 inch culvert he would buy me and install a new one.

I look forward to tomorrow morning.

Chris

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Haa! Hope it doesn't settle over night and flip into the pond!

#15 ·
After considering that comment, I think I might at least try to get a tractor with a bucket on it and put that bucket down on the left rear of the truck or chain up to it to keep it where it is overnight.

#5 ·
I would think a backhoe might be a better option than a wrecker. Unload the truck with the backhoe, then push dirt into downside wheels, then lift and pull truck backwards, then load dirt and fix damage to dike and clean up..... Not that I have helped drivers before lol....

#8 ·
Please let us know how this turns out! I have gotten in binds before and want to see how this turns out. I'd use Ken's excavator to stabalize the truck box and a bull dozer to pull it forward. Good luck with the culvert. Bill

#9 ·
Even though it was their fault, if they were doing you a favor and giving you the dirt, I'm not sure that I'd make a big deal over it. Replacing the culvert might just be the cost of the "free" dirt.

#10 ·
If you have a front end loader, you might chain the bucket to the rear of the truck and lift when the wrecker was pulling. You'd only be able to do that for about 3-4 feet before the loader got pulled forward but it might be enough to help the wrecker "unstick" the axles enough that the 3-4 feet would put him on solid ground.

Then again, maybe Joey and the "Mistress" off the tv show "Wrecked" could just lift the whole truck clear.

#11 ·
Big Wrecker with large boom. Wrecker stays in one place. Boom extends out as dump truck moves forward.

It's sad this happend but no one was hurt so far no equipment has been damaged. This is how we all learn.

Good luck
Pattie

#16 ·
Big wrecker arrived at eight am. He extended his boom over the low end of the dump be. Chained to dump bed and lift the truck and slowly pulled it back. Worked like a charm. Culvert was fine. Just need to repack clay around culvert.

Will post picture when I have computer access not phone.

Chris

#18 ·
Surely you got some photos of the actual extraction?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.