The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: training in the snow

second on the canvas bumpers. They don't sink into the snow as far and they don't brake. For marks I usually stomp the area of the fall so the bumpers don't disapear.

With my previous Lab ( getting my new pup this weekend!) we have spent a lot of time training in the snow. Both dogs were/are fall pups so we really had no choice, as well as living up here in the Ottawa Valley we get approx 4 months of snow so, again no choice.
    School yards are a great place as they are plowed regularly and the kids playing in the yards compact the snow. Parks are another good spot. Sometimes the deeper snow makes for a challenge for intermediate and advanced dogs to hunt up bumpers that sink in the snow a bit. With a little improv., it's all good!

Banned

When I lived in PA I was south of Buffalo a couple of hours. Snow and more snow was the norm. I always had the snowplow guy plow out my drill field. When it came to marks I threw birds and shoveled a hole where the bird was to land.

Utilize lakes, ponds and reservoirs. It's like adding a whole new field to your training grounds. Ice shanty's offer many different marking situations.

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    When I lived in PA I was south of Buffalo a couple of hours. Snow and more snow was the norm. I always had the snowplow guy plow out my drill field. When it came to marks I threw birds and shoveled a hole where the bird was to land.

Utilize lakes, ponds and reservoirs. It's like adding a whole new field to your training grounds. Ice shanty's offer many different marking situations.

Angie
    Not missing the old days are ya? Hope all is warm and well!
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX