The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 live birds per entry?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Bertram View Post
    If you order two birds per entry you should have plenty of good birds for Sun. . We always dry our birds on Sat. Evening in our bird trailer hung with two large fans on them and vented. We always have dry birds....but we can't control the heat.....we are considering a air conditioner for the trailer too.
    You get an AC unit, and some club members probably won't need a hotel room that weekend!

In Southern California all the clubs do double junior, double senior and a master as routine. All the clubs shoot a live flyer in the land series and a live flyer in the water series for ALL levels (junior,senior,master) and both days. I am trying to get some of the clubs to shoot a live flyer in all 3 series of master, maybe spring?
    The way it is now no dog in junior or senior has to retrieve a duck in the water series that was in the water before it was thrown for that dog. Typically all the birds from Saturday are given away Saturday night except for a few to start senior (blinds) and master 20-30 of the best ducks before any are given away.
    Getting gunners to use correct chokes is probably our biggest problem now. Once we explain to gunners blowing ducks apart and shooting the heads off cost the club money they get it though.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH

I can't say for sure, but I have had the feeling this season that I have seen more events start with thawed frozen birds than in the past. It would make sense, given the cost and the shortage around these parts at any price. I have not noticed that the birds are any worse on Sunday than in the past, so clubs are probably following culling those birds ASAP. I have seen it done in the first series, in fact, so that by the second the birds are pretty nice.

It seems to me, clubs that put up a tent for judges to sit under and have the bird dryer under the tent and out of the sun tend to have better birds on sat. afternoon and sunday. I understand that there are somethings that you just cant control so mushy ducks to me is not inexcusable - if your dog is properly FF then they will pick up the bird - they may not like it but they will pick it up and bring it back.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

At the next hunt test you should be at the equipment shed to help rack the birds so they will dry overnight and be in good shape for the next day. I know my club tries very hard to have good birds at the start of all our tests. Mary Veitch
    Lady Hunter

I didn't say it was a test I even went to, so it would be hard for me to help them rack birds. I didn't accuse any club, especially yours. Just some rumors I have been hearing.
    Last edited by Thomas D; 11-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Tom Dorroh

We usually shoot our birds before the event, usually cost the club more to keep them alive & feed them. Still we never use them and freeze them fluffy, take them out Fri to thaw & keep cool overnight. As they've been allowed to cool, These bird usually last and stay fluffy longer than the shot flyers. When it's hot, birds that haven't been allowed to cool quickly go to junk, fresh shot or not. So they're mainly frozen birds, but they're very nice fluffy frozen birds. Sat evening birds are collected dried (yes dried and fluffed ), bad birds tossed, then they're placed in trailer to hang, and cool. If needed we'll pull out a couple of bags of fluffies from the freezer, and thaw.

Still I don't believe bird quality has anything to do with whether they were frozen or live shot, it's how many times the same bird gets retrieved and how those birds are handled through out the day, if you put a bird steward at each stake to fluff and dry you can keep birds very nice for mulitple retrieves, multiple days. If you keep throwing the same wet carcasses over and over they quickly go bad.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I think that the condition of the birds at an AKC licensed event should be of the utmost concern to the registry...........with the blind eye approach to the abuses of the regs relative to the availability of two live birds per entry ,It does not appear to me that it is.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Put a small piece of tape on the leg of all the previously frozen birds for indentication. These are the first to be discarded when you have built up a good supply of fresh flyers to use.

Mark
    What is your secret for keeping your training birds in such fine condition?

We use all fresh dead birds and have 2 AC units in the equipment building to hand them over night. We do all we can to get JR. fresh birds on Sunday. I've not attended a HT where frozen birds were used to my knowledge.