The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Question on FF

Default Question on FF

Before it get's asked:
    My male yellow is 5.5mths old. We followed Hillman puppy DVD to a tee all the way through, probably training a bit more than the video. He is a retrieving machine with real birds and dummies.
    Once hillman was done we started CC using Lardy's dvd we spent 4-5 days getting sit just right we are moving on to "here tomorrow and will take my time through this also as i dont believe there is a need to rush the basics.
    Once CC we are going to move on to FF (with the collar) as he is teething now.
    Here's the question. He is so strong on hold that as soon as i get either the FF buck or dummy near him he reaches out for it and holds it, if he drops a bumper at my side he immediately grabs it. So just how much force should i be implying? The usual look for the reaction from him? (which happens to be from 36-40 on my dogtra).
    Or can i or should i try it further away from him and get him reaching for it?

I dont follow Lardy (use Smartworks) but our progression was teach Hold (as you have done) then FF using ear pinch. Once you can teach fetch from directly in front, progressing all the way down to the ground and walking fetch. Once this is done & fido can fetch from ground, heel, sit, drop then we move to FF with ear pinch & collar (simultaneously until then just collar).
    Point of all that was to state its a progression of pressure, working from little up to their threshold. Then work back down. So, hope that helped. Its important to start light so you can work up the pressure scale, but also keeping it positive so they continue to take direction without completely clamming up.
    My best attempt at answering your question.
    matt
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

Maybe Evan will come along and give some insite on this, but because the dog will do it with out the pressure doesnt mean he has learned "why" he needs too. If you move on with out have a firm understanding of why we FF a dog and with out feeling 100% confidant that the dog understands FF, then you will most likely have problems down the road when you get to T and double T work.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Quackwacker View Post
    Maybe Evan will come along and give some insite on this, but because the dog will do it with out the pressure doesnt mean he has learned "why" he needs too. If you move on with out have a firm understanding of why we FF a dog and with out feeling 100% confidant that the dog understands FF, then you will most likely have problems down the road when you get to T and double T work.

Just my .02
    That was what i was trying to get out of this post, I need to use the force so he understands what to do to turn off the pressure

Exactly. My response was not very clear, but you teach the dog how to handle & work through pressure. You also find out the level needed for correction. Should go well if your dog is doing well holding and very enthusiastic about retrieving. Good luck
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)