The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to be a better shooter?

Hunt for food ...no food , no eat ....use a single shot gun ...no pumps or auto loaders....necessity is a great teacher....instructions and gun fit help too....Steve S

Jacduck...That sounds great....U payin for me to get there? (wink, wink)

Sorry, I just had to order 2 more cases of ammo so money is short, plus CC (da boss lady) just went and bought her non-resi license here in TX after we saw 10,000 geese spread among 3 different fields that we control. She is excited cause she can always M-T her gun at anything and that really costs me more than my sons did. We also found one of our ponds full of pintails so we are up early in the morning.

In all seriousness a snow goose hunt improved my shooting greatly and as a youngster I ended up at the 21 yard line in handicap trap so I was already an okay shooter. At the goose hunt on the Katy Prairie here in TX 8 of us got 162 geese one morning. Pheasants often stump me though, too much tail.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    ....What I would really like to learn how to do is to toss a duck or pigeon and shoot it myself. I can throw them or I can shoot them (preferably with backup) but I can't do it all by myself. That would be useful.
    right handed? duck in left hand head forward feet down held by the "armpits". shotgun in right hand held by pistol grip finger along side of not inside trigger guard and resting on right shoulder. swing duck back and step into and smooth underhand throw. Some say like throwing a horse shoe. at moment of release of bird pivot right wrist bringing gun off shoulder and slaming it onto waiting open left hand in one swell foop. You will be aiming at bird you just tossed. wait 3 wing beats, pull trigger. easy, breezy, Beautiful !
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    If you figure out how to hit birds better particularly those evil little dove things let me know . Still what has helped me was getting a lesson, and finding out my gun didn't fit me (thus I wasn't mounting it right) and finding out that I was about 100% left eye dominant, which put my shot ~ 3ft in the wrong direction when I shot. Corrected those issues was able to hit Ducks most of the time, not those stupid dove. Still wild pheasants are about the toughest creature on earth, we had three guys shoot and solidly hit one bird on opener (golden pheasants, nitro's, and high brass steel 3;s), knocked it backward, yet it still got up to run.

Went to a Ladies gun seminar awhile back , of 10 women 9 of them were left eye or center eye dominate, the one righty had a astigmatism in her left eye. So I'd look into that
    I think it is the opinion of Phil Kiner (shooting coach) that many women are cross eye dominant, more women than men anyway.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

"i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

practice>>>
    when practicing your gun mount with tape on a mirror, start out very slow and precise. Gradually increase the speed as it gets comfortable. what you are doing is training your arms to work together. the grip for shooting trap or skeet is different than for shooting international skeet or hunting. tight grip on the fore end of the gun, light grip on the pistol grip. once you master mounting on the tape, the next step is tracking the edge of the ceiling and wall as you mount your gun, (as if following a pheas>) practice 100 times a night, (per international skeet coach) also have someone check your gun fit, and pattern it so you know where it is shooting when you point it. Good luck

Shooting is something that has to become instinctual. Way to much practice is still not enough. If shooting skeet (for hunting practice) i like to use a hand thrower. Sure it is more work but i never know where it is going to go, and no two are the same. also i have to agree that you practice like you play. Gun down and resting then "pull" and shoot.

The whole eye thing is crazy. Im a neither eye dominant person my self. but i never think about it, i just shoot. You think you miss. I think it is in the movie "the patriot" aim small miss small. Dont think just shoot.
    Benjamin Fain

Start shooting sporting clays and ask for advice from the better shooters at your club, most guys are very willing to help. Sporting clays is the best practice for the types of shots you will see when hunting.

is sporting clay were the shooter walks a rout or path from spot to spot and targets come out?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    is sporting clay were the shooter walks a rout or path from spot to spot and targets come out?
    Yes .... and each station is a different scenario like birds coming out over your head, coming from one side or the other, a low "running rabbit" kind of shot, etc.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc