The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How to be a better shooter?

I guy helped me once when he told me.... If yer gonna miss,,,, miss in front..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    In the days that you could shoot lead while waterfowling, I made some really nice shots by getting way out in front of the bird. I made use of the long shot string. The shot string is useless unless you are in front of the bird.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Is there a never fail formula for that because I would like to commit it to memory. My current technique is to estimate the lead you need and double it but for high flying pheasants going downwind (30 mph) it isn't working.
    Last edited by EdA; 11-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.

How to learn to shoot:

Use a gun that fits you at least within reason, use an "open" choke, use small shot, shoot with someone that knows how, shoot skeet with your gun down, try it with both eyes open, mount the gun after you see the target. After every 1000 targets you will notice improvement.

You need to shoot to learn how, some people try to practice by hunting. One trip to the range and you can shoot 100 targets that are going to come out when you tell them to. You'll know exactly where they're coming from and going to.

In the simplest sense it's about seeing the target then pointing where you're looking. If your gun fits within reason it will shoot where you're looking. If it doesn't fit quite right you'll adjust without noticing. No aiming and little thinking, just watch the target, mount the gun and shoot.

When someone else is shooting stand behind them, when the bird comes out just point your finger at it instead of the gun, and follow it along it's flight. Realize that the target you are going to shoot is going as slow as the one you're pointing your finger at. It doesn't help to rush things when it's you who's actually shooting. Don't say "pull" and rush to mount the gun. See the target, follow it's flight while mounting the gun. Some skeet stations lend themselves to waiting a long time before you actually shoot. Low 1 and high 7 especially. If it's possible just start by shooting a round of targets from those two stations.

I like the skeet range, sporting clays are great fun when you know how to shoot, but aren't a good place to learn in my opinion. At least the ones I've seen.
    Last edited by John Lash; 11-17-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Is there a never fail formula for that because I would like to commit it to memory. My current technique is to estimate the lead you need and double it but for high flying pheasants going downwind (30 mph) it isn't working.

I know,,,,, Right???,,,,,, Shaw!!!

What that guy meant was to make your lead uncomfortable in front.. Especially on hard crossers and high targets.
    If you look at the picture above, in the background you see a very tall tower.
    That tower holds the clay machines. they can raise and lower the elevation.
    I have stood at that 1 station to practice, and shot 200 rounds at the same paires, to teach myself lead..
    One day I shot 200 rounds,, and broke 19 birds.. The birds I broke,, I was amazed at how far out in front of the bird I had to be to break it..

Lead fpr me at least is a "Feeling". It just feels right at the moment just before you pull the trigger.. To tell anyone how many feet ,, I dont know how you do that.

I think its practice.

That tower station is really a challenge.. When they throw a pair,, 1 target will be haulin tail,, while the trailer willbe moving much slower. Soyou have to adjust lead from 1 target to the next, right after you think you figgered it out on the first bird.

That station also replicates ducks droppin into decoys from high above, and behind you. A very hard shot for me//

When shooting birds,, I try and concentrate on the head,, and forget the body, and especially that long trailing tail on a Pheasant,,then when presented with that long shot going with the wind, I make the lead uncomfortable to break the beak,, and also make sure I have a heavier shot size in to compenste for the wind,

If you can,, someday go and shoot a pattern board with small size shot with a crosswind.. make the distance 40 yards or better,,,, You will be very surprised what the wind does... Windy days,, tighter chokes,, larger shot

JMHO.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 11-18-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

If you think about it,, when shooting a clay target,,, that target is about the killing diameter of the head of a bird...

so when shooting clays,, and consistently breaking tartgets,, head shots,, or the term "Shoot em in the lips" makes perfect sense."
    When you go to the field to hunt,,, break the head and neck,,, and the bird is stone dead,,, and eats alot better also.

But,,all that said,, shooting feathers and clay birds is different.. at least fer me..

Gooser

NEVER<<<<< NEVER >>>>> Pay attention to the end of the gun barrel!!

These guys that place fancy colored beads or flourecent glow beads on the barrel,, IMHO,, are just axing fer trouble..

You shoulds be "seeing" the Target. and "feeling" the gun.

When Target shooting,, look to see the rings impressioned on the clay,, or the printing in the center..

When hunting,, look to see the bird "Blink" or "stick its tounge out" at you as it flys away.
    Forget the barrels and the Bead on the end of it..

Point the gun

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 11-18-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Tip for shooting in strong wind:

Birds that are flying but seem to be not moving due to extremely strong wind, i.e not moving yet flapping wings with a speed relative to the shooter of zero, still need a lead. Common mistake is to shoot at the bird as if it is standing still. Lead is needed to account for the wind.

I am left eye dominate but shoot right handed. My uncle norm hated that so as a kid mearnie learn to shoot left handed, sure pisses people off when i switch and still hit birds. When shooting right I squint my right eye enough to make the left do the work and learned where to point. Most birds are missed due to not following through and raising head off the stock.

/paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    I am left eye dominate but shoot right handed. My uncle norm hated that so as a kid mearnie learn to shoot left handed, sure pisses people off when i switch and still hit birds. When shooting right I squint my right eye enough to make the left do the work and learned where to point. Most birds are missed due to not following through and raising head off the stock.

/paul

A trapshooter would say you're better off shooting from the left. Here's your excuse for a new gun designed for left handedness.