The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to be a better shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by sportnclays View Post
    All of what gngnyc pointed out are good points, and all of those will be addressed by a certified instructor. I would also suggest, that it is better to take "lessons" from one instructor, rather than from a group of shooters. Unless the whole group are instructors. It makes things a little easier, or flow smoother! Good luck, JB

Real good advice sportnclays.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

When I shoot trap, I always know when and where the clay is going to go, but in the field of course, I never feel prepared for the flush...even though I can tell when my dogs are getting birdy, it seems like I am never ready and when I am, the bird is gone!
    Back when I was much younger one of our hunting group consistently shot about 23 out of 25 on the trap range. However, he just couldn't hit a thing when it really counted (hunting).

As Lainee said, in the "grand scheme of things" (hunting), thinking too much about the shot will often lead to frustrations. Habits and expectations must be nurtured.

The first thing you need to do is make sure your gun consistently mounts toward the target. Put a small piece of tape on a mirror. Do NOT see the gun sight or barrel......look only at the target as you hold the gun in a normal walking/hunting motion. Focusing only on the tape, snap your gun up to a shooting position and then visually check the alignment of the barrel with the target. Does the gun consistently point at what you are looking at? Practice this mounting process (in front of the mirror) until it is automatically correct all the time. Gun fit and consistent mounting are two huge issues that are rarely dealt with properly.

Just when you seem to have this taken care of, the "hunting clothes of the day" can change how the gun mounts. In additoin, if you think too much about lead, wind, feeling rushed and have little confidence....poor results are inevitable.

When I'm at the trap range most are shooting for a high score. When I shoot trap, I practice like I hunt. Using the gun I normally hunt with, I do not have the gun mounted until after saying "pull" and I do not always face in the exact direction the "pigeon" is expected to appear from. Practice getting the gun into the correct postion and looking at the "pigeon". Until this is accomplished, you will not really know where your gun is aimed. Practice until it just is!

For "swing" I start behind, under or over the target and swing in the correct direction based on the speed of the bird. The key is to "catch up" to the target while swinging. Practice swinging through the target faster than it is moving. Not all swings are the same speed. A second shot may find you thinking "catch up you fool". The third shot (automatic) usually means "see you later'. When I see the bird/clay pigeon and continue the barrel movement, I shoot (looking ONLY at the clay targert or bird). I do not track, "reach" a lead and hold it (ever). This evidently makes me more of an instinctive shooter. I can live with the results.

"Swing" is different depending on direction. Shooting for ducks or pheasants is usually "different". Ducks are more often than not passing shots or incoming. Pheasants are most often flying away (flushed). On an away shot, the usual error is shooting under/behind.

A properly mounted gun, learning how to "swing" based on the kind of bird and velocity in flight, practicing with different layers of hunting clothes and confidence need to be dealt with in that order. Then you have to think about your foot work.

Pheasants won't be dropping until you expect it to happen. Expectations are best established by following a plan not based on "a wing and a prayer".
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 11-12-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    EdA

All the books, magazines, and "experts" will tell you to shoot with both eyes open. A lot of outstanding shooters shoot with one eye open. My shooting partners are all one eyed shooters. I shut my left eye when I found out that eye dominance can switch. An alternative is to put tape/shooting dot on the left lens of your glasses and continue to shoot from the right shoulder. And don't forget the significance aging has on vision.
    I shoot with both eyes open but in the beginning I used a smear of vaseline on the lens of my non-dominant eye

A couple of lesson and good gun fit help immensely but there is nothing like more time afield with live targets. Hook up with a great snow goose guide where you can unload 100-200 rounds a day at live birds and watch the improvement. Farm raised just ain't the same caliber. TX mid January and MO for the conservation season come to mind first.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Jacduck...That sounds great....U payin for me to get there? (wink, wink)

I think the use of a certified instructor could be really really helpful, I know gun fit is importent, but it is highly unlikely I will be modifying my dad's gun...it is too cool to be in anything but it's original, very used condition! One thing I forgot to mention (though some of you may know) is I am a women.

I think I will need to save my $$ and buy myself a gun and have it custom fitted. (I'm alittle tapped out right now as I just bought a new rifle for deer hunting next week). I also think some of you are right...I may be rushing the shots, as I am alittle anxious. I really don't understand the whole right eye, left eye, dominent eye thing...I don't even know if I am shooting with both eyes open or not? I think I am, but will have to pay more attention next time...anyone want to explain the eye thing?

Thanks,
    Earlene

Quote Originally Posted by lennie View Post
    J...anyone want to explain the eye thing?

Thanks,
    Earlene
    Well, the main thing is to have at least ONE open!!

I din't understand the mirror trick.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

If you figure out how to hit birds better particularly those evil little dove things let me know . Still what has helped me was getting a lesson, and finding out my gun didn't fit me (thus I wasn't mounting it right) and finding out that I was about 100% left eye dominant, which put my shot ~ 3ft in the wrong direction when I shot. Corrected those issues was able to hit Ducks most of the time, not those stupid dove. Still wild pheasants are about the toughest creature on earth, we had three guys shoot and solidly hit one bird on opener (golden pheasants, nitro's, and high brass steel 3;s), knocked it backward, yet it still got up to run.

Went to a Ladies gun seminar awhile back , of 10 women 9 of them were left eye or center eye dominate, the one righty had a astigmatism in her left eye. So I'd look into that
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by lennie View Post
    Jacduck...That sounds great....U payin for me to get there? (wink, wink)

I think the use of a certified instructor could be really really helpful, I know gun fit is importent, but it is highly unlikely I will be modifying my dad's gun...it is too cool to be in anything but it's original, very used condition! One thing I forgot to mention (though some of you may know) is I am a women.

I think I will need to save my $$ and buy myself a gun and have it custom fitted. (I'm alittle tapped out right now as I just bought a new rifle for deer hunting next week). I also think some of you are right...I may be rushing the shots, as I am alittle anxious. I really don't understand the whole right eye, left eye, dominent eye thing...I don't even know if I am shooting with both eyes open or not? I think I am, but will have to pay more attention next time...anyone want to explain the eye thing?

Thanks,
    Earlene
    with both eyes open pick out an object at about 20-30 yards away, point at the object, with your hand still in position look with one eye open, alternate opening one while closing the other, your dominant eye will be the one that lines up your finger and the object
    Last edited by EdA; 11-12-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Or put shot gun up look out, at a fixed object. Do you see two barrels, that intercept in the center? (left or center eye) Both eyes open Do you see the strip down the barrel with the sight or do you see, the side of the barrel? (side of the barrel left eye) Do you get dizzy when you throw a gun up quickly, and have to adapt you eyes to make a shot? Get a pair of sun-glasses, mount gun look out beyond the gun. Close right eye take a chap-stick and blur out the piece of barrel you see in the left eye. open both eyes and you should see only one barrel, the correct one. Eye dominance solved
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-12-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I shoot with both eyes open but in the beginning I used a smear of vaseline on the lens of my non-dominant eye
    I am cross eye dominant as well. Back when I was into shooting skeet, I got a nifty little translucent dot to put over my shooting glasses. Nowadays, I start with both open but close the left. With both open I am never pointing close to my target. Not that I am a very good shot either way.

What I would really like to learn how to do is to toss a duck or pigeon and shoot it myself. I can throw them or I can shoot them (preferably with backup) but I can't do it all by myself. That would be useful.