The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to be a better shooter?

One thing about a pheasant is you have a better chance of killing it when it is upward or crossing. Once it flattens out and is going away you are shooting at < I have seen where the shot glances of the birds back, and does penetrate enough to knock them down. You have to break a wing or hit something vital to bring them down. Pen birds seem to climb more out of the hole, wild birds don't give you that chance. They jump farther out and stay low and flat to the cover. Being slow on wild birds is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    is sporting clay were the shooter walks a rout or path from spot to spot and targets come out?
    Yup- also where I go to brush up on my swearing techniques.

Good excuse creation exercise as well regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I used to shoot in a trap league. I was(am) just an average shot. I asked one of the clubs best shots one time how to get better at it. He told me when that I wear out my second reloader I'd be good.

On my swing through I was always taught, Butt...Bird...Beak...BOOM!
    BB

I hunt Pheasants at least 4 times a week and have been harvesting several on a days hunt at our game club. From my personal experience when shooting pheasants 7 1/2 are good early in the season but 6s are much better in the late season. I use a skeet choke in my upper barrel and full choke in the lower. 71/2 upper barrel and 6 in the lower barrel. Next thing that is important is what is my leed on the bird? Cross shot follow up on the bird and fire when you are on the head! Do not stop your swing or you will miss. Going away shot is just like a rifle shot apple on a fence post. It is not necessary to leed a pheasant by much as you shot travels at 1200 feet per second and most shots are with in 40 yds!
    Good Luck and good hunting
    Warren Price
    www.trainrite.net
    w. price

Follow through , Live birds or clay targets. Head on stock and track the bird or target after the shot. Many new shooters come out of the gun (pick head off stock) a split second early and shoot over the target.

Just shot 200 rnds at Sporting Clays today..

20stations,,, 10 birds at each station

Score was 165

Pretty good for me..

I found the more I thought about (tracked) the shot,, the more often I would drop(miss) the bird.

Sporting Clays are a great game,, You are presented with many different angles and speeds with the targets. many times Incomming,, Many times from behind you and droppin in on you like ducks.. Some come from elevated Platforms,, and simulate sky bustin ducks

I shot with my Son, who I havent seen in over a year,,,

Great day.

Wanna be a better shot??? PRACTICE,, PRACTICE,, PRACTICE
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

By no means am I a great shot. But one thing that i do occasionally is take my shotgun either outside or in the house (gun is empty) and with the gun mounted try and follow either the crown molding inside or maybe even the edge of a distance roof outside. I try and run my bead down the edge of either without pulling off and staying as level as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Walton View Post
    Follow through , Live birds or clay targets. Head on stock and track the bird or target after the shot. Many new shooters come out of the gun (pick head off stock) a split second early and shoot over the target.
    Common mistake is to take your head off the stock to see if you hit the target/bird. You end up shooting low and behind.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by Broadbill View Post
    On my swing through I was always taught, Butt...Bird...Beak...BOOM!
    BB
    And what do you do when it is a small black disc with orange paint? But I must say you do well at Sporting Clays so I better take your advice.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."