The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Fox red puppy!!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid View Post
    It is hard to tell that when she cries at 3:30am if she is just bored or if she has to pee. Its puppy steps.
    Well the point for the crate training is to control potty breaks to quickly teach that grass is the place to drop the brown's off and thier bed is a terrible place to pee(Who likes to lay in thier own pee). Suck it up and just look baggie-eyed in the morning. LOL

Hey if she's too much trouble...send her to me with her papers!
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 11-15-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Well the point for the crate training is to control potty breaks to quickly teach that grass is the place to drop the brown's off and thier bed is a terrible place to pee(Who likes to lay in thier own pee). Suck it up and just look baggie-eyed in the morning. LOL

Hey if she's too much trouble...send her to me with her papers!
    I dont mind getting up... I just dont want her to train me haha. If she has to pee then I will gladly let her outside at 4am. But if it is 4am and she is awake and wants to play thats not ok.

I can handle her

I like both killian and Lucy but they did not get the approval from the better half.

If I ever got the chance to own a Fox red female, her name would be REBA.

Helen

What about "Rouge" means red in french....

Got it!!! Flame's Start with an "Ember" That's the coolest name ever! I should've saved it!
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Nice looking yellow lab you have there. Who is she out of?
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Good point. One thing you might consider, at least until you can discern "I have to pee" from her other noises, is to get up and take her out every time she cries. However, if she doesn't go right to her business, bring her back in and put her back in her crate. 3:30 AM is NOT puppy playtime.

Are you starting yet to associate a word with her going? I used "bathroom" so mine would begin to understand what I wanted from him.

Stay with it. Your pup will eventually get it and it will get easier. Mine still just wants out to play sometimes, but at least not at 3:30 anymore.

I dont mind getting up... I just dont want her to train me haha. If she has to pee then I will gladly let her outside at 4am. But if it is 4am and she is awake and wants to play thats not ok.

I can handle her

I like both killian and Lucy but they did not get the approval from the better half.

Last night when I got home we played in the yard for awhile walking around perimeter of our lot several times which is a pretty good walk for her then we went in and played and did some sit training and ate. Then she took a nap while we ate dinner. After dinner we went for another walk up and down the street. After that we came in and played for awhile and worked on sit again. I kept her awake till we went to bed and boy was she pooped haha (this was my goal) She slept from 11 till 6:15 which is good in my mind. I did find out she loves ice cubes. An ice cube will keep her occupied for awhile if we need to do something and cant watch her.

She has decreased the biting and understands the command of "no bite" , she is great on a leash, no pulling just walks next to me or a little behind me. She is getting sit next is lay down. It is nice seeing progress.

Avoid water to drink after 6pm
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

She seems to be getting worse in the crate but a little better on nipping and biting. If she has something I dont want her to have i use "leave it" and if she drops it i reward her. If she is biting i say "no bite" if she is sitting there chewing her bone or playing with her duck i praise. The problem now is that she goes crazy if she is in her crate and doesnt want to be. 3 nights ago she made it 6 hours or so before she starting whining (to go potty i guess) which i thought was good. So 2 nights ago she started whining at 4:30 so i took her out and put her back in her crate. When I put her in there she whines and cries but eventually layed down and went back to sleep. Well last night she only made it to about 3:30 and when i put her back in her crate after going outside she went crazy again and for much longer this time and finally got quiet long enough for me to go back to sleep. She woke back up and started whining and crying at 6:30. I am going to try and wear her out tonight to see if she will sleep thru the night.
    That pup is training you... i did the "tough love" thing with mine...leave her in there all night no matter waht. Third night she was done crying.. two weeks was able to hold it all night.. i work 12 to 13 hours a day. After about. Two months she could hold it all day. Not syaing this is what u should do but its what i had to do. They are capable of a lot at a young age.