The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Fox red puppy!!

Hey Duckquilizer - I like your quote!!!

"You can't beat Santa Claus"-BonMallari/Rush Limbaugh

Congrats and she is a little doll! My vote is for Ember as well, looks like a good "fit". Enjoy the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke11 View Post
    Hey Duckquilizer - I like your quote!!!

"You can't beat Santa Claus"-BonMallari/Rush Limbaugh
    Thanks, it proved to be very fitting during election time...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Now that she is aclimating to the house she is getting to be a handfull haha. Lots of biting and nipping. If she doesnt want to be in her crate any longer she whines and crys. I am trying to break her of these. She doesnt seem to care about a stern "no"

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid View Post
    Now that she is aclimating to the house she is getting to be a handfull haha. Lots of biting and nipping. If she doesnt want to be in her crate any longer she whines and crys. I am trying to break her of these. She doesnt seem to care about a stern "no"
    She probably doesnt know what NO means yet, and Personally I dont like to use the word no, try to use a command to stop the behavior so they know what to do versus what not to do. ie. when barking or whining use quiet. when jumping use off or down - I use down to tell them to lay down.

If chewing on something you can say "no" but instead of saying anything I would just give her some toy that is acceptable to chew on - they teeth for a long time plus it cleans their teeth - when the pup is running away and wont come back right a way dont say NO! HERE! just start to say here in different tones and give them a treat when she comes to you. dont get mad, because the puppy has no clue right now what is going on just keep working on the basics.

about the only thing that I can think of to say "no" on is biting or nipping at something you dont want them to chew on, in that case I do say no but then I give them a sit command and give them a treat. I try to create a training situation out of everyday routine items.

I am with you and like Killian for a name and it just rolls off your tongue
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

She seems to be getting worse in the crate but a little better on nipping and biting. If she has something I dont want her to have i use "leave it" and if she drops it i reward her. If she is biting i say "no bite" if she is sitting there chewing her bone or playing with her duck i praise. The problem now is that she goes crazy if she is in her crate and doesnt want to be. 3 nights ago she made it 6 hours or so before she starting whining (to go potty i guess) which i thought was good. So 2 nights ago she started whining at 4:30 so i took her out and put her back in her crate. When I put her in there she whines and cries but eventually layed down and went back to sleep. Well last night she only made it to about 3:30 and when i put her back in her crate after going outside she went crazy again and for much longer this time and finally got quiet long enough for me to go back to sleep. She woke back up and started whining and crying at 6:30. I am going to try and wear her out tonight to see if she will sleep thru the night.

Welcome to puppy life...sounds like its going perfect. Don't get into thinking pup will sleep all night just yet. It may take a week or 2...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

It is hard to tell that when she cries at 3:30am if she is just bored or if she has to pee. Its puppy steps.

I have ear plugs and see what I have in the morning. Need my beauty sleep.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I love Lucy,,,,,,,,,,will work if you can cuss in cuban