The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Fox red puppy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke11 View Post
    That pup is training you... i did the "tough love" thing with mine...leave her in there all night no matter waht. Third night she was done crying.. two weeks was able to hold it all night.. i work 12 to 13 hours a day. After about. Two months she could hold it all day. Not syaing this is what u should do but its what i had to do. They are capable of a lot at a young age.
    2X for my thoughts. Puppies can sound like someone is killing them and they are good at it. Only open the crate when they are not barking. Good luck you have a yeller on your hands.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Well how about a little update. She is growing like a weed and is really "active" haha. She is pretty well house broken and knows sit, come, and we are working on others. One problem is that apparently she is a terror with my fiancÚ. She bites her clothes chews on cables and eats everything. For me all I have to say is leave it or no bite and most times she listens to me. However, with my fiancÚ if she bites her and she does the lip pinch she just comes back harder for more. You think she is not pinching hard enough? Does she not respect her? When she gets really crazy with me I hold her down and lay over the top of her (not putting any weight on her not trying to crush her) until she calms down. You guys have any ideas? The good thing is she is doing real well with retrieves and drop it.

The puppy is finding out the pecking order of the house. YES she thinks your fiance is the timid one. Tell your fiance to be more assertive or the pup will never respect her.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid View Post
    Well how about a little update. She is growing like a weed and is really "active" haha. She is pretty well house broken and knows sit, come, and we are working on others. One problem is that apparently she is a terror with my fiancÚ. She bites her clothes chews on cables and eats everything. For me all I have to say is leave it or no bite and most times she listens to me. However, with my fiancÚ if she bites her and she does the lip pinch she just comes back harder for more. You think she is not pinching hard enough? Does she not respect her? When she gets really crazy with me I hold her down and lay over the top of her (not putting any weight on her not trying to crush her) until she calms down. You guys have any ideas? The good thing is she is doing real well with retrieves and drop it.
    And what is her name?? I think i missed it..

We finally decided on Lucy Louisa or Lucy Lu for short or Lucy for even shorter haha. I call her Lucy or Lucy Lu. Lucy is my fiance's grandmothers name so she couldnt turn it down ha. Its fun because now she is 9 weeks old and she picks up things so much faster than just a week ago. She fetches brings it right beck to me and drops it on command. One thing she still doesnt like is stairs. she can go up stairs although sometimes she sits at the bottom and whines until she gets the courage to go up. At home we have 3 steps down to the back door landing. The steps are hardwood so they are a little slippery. She will go up the stairs but she will not go down so we have to work on that. I dont want to force her to go down because she goes to the back door to go outside and I dont want to discourage that.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid View Post
    We finally decided on Lucy Louisa or Lucy Lu for short or Lucy for even shorter haha. I call her Lucy or Lucy Lu. Lucy is my fiance's grandmothers name so she couldnt turn it down ha. Its fun because now she is 9 weeks old and she picks up things so much faster than just a week ago. She fetches brings it right beck to me and drops it on command. One thing she still doesnt like is stairs. she can go up stairs although sometimes she sits at the bottom and whines until she gets the courage to go up. At home we have 3 steps down to the back door landing. The steps are hardwood so they are a little slippery. She will go up the stairs but she will not go down so we have to work on that. I dont want to force her to go down because she goes to the back door to go outside and I dont want to discourage that.
    Beautiful dog! Like the name We have steps in our house and it took a while for my pup to get used to them too. She would go up but not down for a very long time. once she figured it out she was like a kid - 'playing on the steps'! Now she sits at the top with her feet hanging over the edge like it is a 'perch'

Cincinnati Kid, welcome to RTF, and to being the proud owner of a new puppy. I live in the Cincinnati area, and myself and two others founded the Ohio River Hunting Retriever Club, and compete & judge in many other retriever venues. If interested in training your puppy with others, and meeting other retriever enthusiasts, feel free to pm myself, and we can get together to share the passion...Roger
    No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.-Louis Sabin

GRHRCH Hunter's Marsh Happy "Hooch" MH 1000 HRC pts.
    HRCH Laurie's Devil in Disguise " Annie"
    GRHRCH Fields of Fire Pattons Fly BY ! "Phoenix" SH (500 HRC pts)
    HRCH Fields of Fire Webbfooted Flashover " Rson " SH
    Fields of Fire Glowing Ember!