RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Crate bedding question

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  eiko87 
#1 ·
So I Started a new duck club and in this one they don't allow dogs to sleep inside the club house at night. My dog is primarily an inside dog but in order to condition her to the elements she's been sleeping and spending a lot of time in the pen. Still though I'm concerned with her dealing with the extreme cold in her crate since TN hasn't gotten real cold yet. I have an insulating jacket for her crate that I'll use but any suggestions on bedding or other ideas to keep her warm? I was gonna do straw but I can't because she'll be riding in her crate from the fields and get it all wet everyday. Would a water resistant factory bed work? Thanks so much in advance

#2 ·
if in your spot I would take the comfortor off of the bed and stash in back of the seat of the pick up truck. At night when dog is dried off and ready for bed I would wipe down the swamp muck as best I could from inside the box and put the dry cozy comforter from home in. Take it out in the morning and put it back in the truck.

#3 ·
When I happen to hunt with a friend on his particular lease they require we abide by the exact same rule. I never really had a problem as long as I can keep the crate out of the wind. Ken is right though, dry the pup off thoroughly before crating and dry the crate off as well. A comforter or old blanket will keep Fido quite cozy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.