The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lardy ecollar question

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    I wonder why people continue to post questions about the lardy system here when lardy has never bothered to post an answer to any of them.
    It's a way for us to lure you into some discussion around here Breck.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

While Lardy may not answer, lots of people have been to his seminars where this subject may have come up.

Ecollars with both momentary and continuous were in use at the time the videos were shot.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I was at a Lardy seminar, and it did come up...I don't have any notes about it, though.

I have a vague recollection of a discussion about differences in old vs. new collars. What I'm recalling is that, in the old collars, you could not emulate a "nick" using the continuous setting because you had to hold the button down awhile to transmit the signal. If you did a quick press of the button in hopes of a nick, most likely the dog would feel nothing. If you pressed the button long enough to transmit the signal while in continuous mode, you got something much more than a nick. So you had to use the momentary button on the older collars, but the newer TT collars do not have this limitation. Does this sound plausible?

Edit: Oops...I am wondering if the way I remember things is plausible (not if something Lardy said is plausible).
    Last edited by mitty; 11-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Renee P

Mitty, When were the seminar? That sounds like real old technology on the ecollars.
    Wayne Nutt

Hi Renee,

I don't recall the comparison of old vs. new collars, however at one point I believe what I saw Mike do at this June's 2 seminars was demonstrate nicks and burns using the continuous setting on a TT Pro 500; the "burn" he demonstrated was a revelation, at least to me, in that it was much shorter than I had thought; just a press-paaause-release and the "nick" was a press-release.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Mitty, When were the seminar? That sounds like real old technology on the ecollars.
    The seminar was last summer. Most of my notes are about all the stuff I am doing wrong, apparently my use of the ecollar at that point was not on my radar...the least of my problems!

Someone's dog wasn't responding to the ecollar, and there was a discussion about the ecollar not working right...and the old vs new collar stuff came up. At least this is what I remember.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Hi Renee,

I don't recall the comparison of old vs. new collars, however at one point I believe what I saw Mike do at this June's 2 seminars was demonstrate nicks and burns using the continuous setting on a TT Pro 500; the "burn" he demonstrated was a revelation, at least to me, in that it was much shorter than I had thought; just a press-paaause-release and the "nick" was a press-release.
    I remember something like that, too.

As far as the old vs. new collar story (of which I probably don't recall well)...I can't imagine where I got that from if I didn't hear it at the seminar.
    Renee P

I found the answer to part of my question. On the bottom of page 18 of the booklet accompanying the TRT dvds outlined in a box under Collar Fetch: "As with stick pressure, the nick does not get applied on every fetch sequence. Using a collar in the momentary mode works well for collar fetch, as you want the nicks to be very quick"

When all else fails read the directions.

Since he made this distinction on collar fetch, I assume that indirect pressure on three handed casting would still be in the continuous mode.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 11-14-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    Wayne Nutt

When I attended the Lardy seminar this March in CA a bit of this discussion on continuous vs momentary also came up. My notes and memory are clear on this subject. Lardy said BASICALLY he does not use the momentary function of the TT collars (he did NOT say he never uses it). For a nick, he taps the button on continuous. Also had another pro tell me not to use the momentary for a nick type correction because the stimulation the dog feels is so rapid it can make them jump or kinda de-stabilize them. The pro also told me to tap the TT (I have a TT 500) in continuous mode for a nick. Just figured I would offer this up in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    I wonder why people continue to post questions about the lardy system here when lardy has never bothered to post an answer to any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    .....I found the answer.......
    ........When all else fails read the directions........
    So, looks like Mr. Lardy answered the question after all
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin