The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lardy ecollar question

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I found the answer to part of my question. On the bottom of page 18 of the booklet accompanying the TRT dvds outlined in a box under Collar Fetch: "As with stick pressure, the nick does not get applied on every fetch sequence. Using a collar in the momentary mode works well for collar fetch, as you want the nicks to be very quick"

When all else fails read the directions.

Since he made this distinction on collar fetch, I assume that indirect pressure on three handed casting would still be in the continuous mode.
    I would think that would be a good assumption to make.

I attended one of MIke's seminars (workshops) in June 2009. I changed over to much more operation of my TT Pro 500 in continuous mode, versus momentary after attending Mike's seminar. My takeaway was that the immediacy of the momentary setting was really best used for applications right near the handler where you want it to be an immediate snap of a correction and then it's over. But for pretty much all corrections at a distance from the handler, even if you are shooting for a "nick" and not a "burn", you still do it in continuous mode and meter the duration with how long you hold the button down.

As someone else has already mentioned, you can put the collar on a moderate to high setting and "practice" your button timing. As long as your hearing is good, you can audibly detect when the receiver is delivering correction. Just don't touch it to your ear while you're doing it!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

My memory is a little vague but I remember Mike swithching from momentary to continuous with a 500 back at a workshop back in '96? I remember him mentioning he preferred one you could switch between momentary and continuous but, if you could only get one get continuous only since you could mimic the momentary with a continuous only collar.

I remember one dog that he was switching back and forth between momentary and continuous. Time has erased what the actual problem was from my memory. I do remember he told the owner they needed to have a collar that you could switch back and forth with. He ended up letting this person take home one of his collars until they were able to purchase on of their own.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    I wonder why people continue to post questions about the lardy system here when lardy has never bothered to post an answer to any of them.
    Because we are his acolytes and we are all moving to Gayana. LOL

Why do you expect him to?
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Just don't touch it to your ear while you're doing it!

Chris
    Getting popcorn and checking youtube...
    Darrin Greene

This thread sure ended in a big disappointment. No mike Lardy replying and no a single YouTube video of some zapping their ear. What has RTF come to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I would think that would be a good assumption to make.

I attended one of MIke's seminars (workshops) in June 2009. I changed over to much more operation of my TT Pro 500 in continuous mode, versus momentary after attending Mike's seminar. My takeaway was that the immediacy of the momentary setting was really best used for applications right near the handler where you want it to be an immediate snap of a correction and then it's over. But for pretty much all corrections at a distance from the handler, even if you are shooting for a "nick" and not a "burn", you still do it in continuous mode and meter the duration with how long you hold the button down.

As someone else has already mentioned, you can put the collar on a moderate to high setting and "practice" your button timing. As long as your hearing is good, you can audibly detect when the receiver is delivering correction. Just don't touch it to your ear while you're doing it!

Chris
    Some older computer speakers will pick up the signal from an e-collar,was testing a collar near my computer when I discovered this.

Quote Originally Posted by rednek View Post
    Some older computer speakers will pick up the signal from an e-collar,was testing a collar near my computer when I discovered this.

[IMG][/IMG]

From the previous posts I'm going to guess these have gone the way of the antenna, dummy collar,and intensity plugs

Life was much simpler then.

Push the button watch the light.

Light goes on collar works... No light collar not working.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Wayne!

this is Gooser.... beware!

He talks about this in the original version of Training With Mike Lardy..

He says that a "Nick" can be well timmed with a continuous only collar, by learning how long to hold the botton/buttons down.
    He says it should NEVER be longer that 1 second.. The Nick on a collar that has a Momentary button,,, is MUch shorter than that..

I have always used Continuous ,, but praticed the "Nick" on my own leg, as to how long,, and what timming it took to replicate the Momentary 'Nick""

JMHDAO>

Gooser

P.S.

If Mrs Gooser finds me asleep,, and can get the collar on my leg,, She donts wory about what button,, or how many she holds down..
    She definatly burns untill she gets the desired result..
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 11-15-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

If you guys want a video a me testing on my cleanly shaven silky soft legs,,, I willl ablige!!

Gladly.....

You know me!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    If you guys want a video a me testing on my cleanly shaven silky soft legs,,, I willl ablige!!

Gladly.....

You know me!
    Gosh! Times like this I do hate my clear and imaginative mental image capabilities
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin