The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rowdy (by Pirate) Three handed casting

Default Rowdy (by Pirate) Three handed casting

Rowdy coming out of ecollar conditioning. I'm looking for a mistake to apply indirect pressure. He didn't make a mistake. Sometimes I think they know. I got the jaws at him for not wanting to let go of the bumper cord.
    On one left back cast I got a slight delay. He was thinking about it.

By the time I got done with the drill my nerves were on edge. Neighbors barking dog and Shadow in the house crying for his turn.
    My baby is growing up, 7 1/2 months and 55 lbs.

Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 11-13-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Mr.Nutt once again I really enjoy your videos.For an amateur like me getting back in the game and following TRT it helps seeing these.Thanks again and your pup is looking great.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Can you explain why the front return and not in the heel position?
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

The front finish is simply to get him used to sitting, looking at you and making eye contact. Because in the future most of his casts in the field will be sitting facing you and taking a cast.
    Wayne Nutt

"The front finish is simply to get him used to sitting, looking at you and making eye contact. Because in the future most of his casts in the field will be sitting facing you and taking a cast. "

Little tid bits like this are exactly what make this sight worth reading. Thanks again for the videos Wayne.

Wayne have you ever had any problems durring simple casting with your pup "scanning" looking from bumper to bumper all around him and not making eye contact with you. I am following TRT and i started simple casting although i noticed my pup wants to keep looking at the bumpers on the ground and behind him instead of at me for the signal and the cast. I always wait to send him until i make eye contact and he is focused on me but some times he just is more focuesed on the bumpers. Will he grow out of this or is there anything i need to be doing to corret this?

It will probably get better in time on its own. Several remedies. Pop the lead under his chin. Snap your fingers. Say "look at me". I had a little troube with Rowdy at first because of the neighbors dog running up and down the fence.

In one of my earlier videos you will see this. I will sign out and find it and repost.

Watch what I did with the lead and what I said.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 11-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    Wayne Nutt

yes i have watched and enjoyed all of your videos i am familular with the one you are talking about.... i do believe he will correct his self over time as long as i adress it i just started him with simple casting so i will see... another thing did you just go strait into setting out 3 piles after you did a few sessions of tossing the bumper as larry does of TRT in the direction of the cast.

No, I built up to the three piles. First I did individual bumpers, then two bumpers out, then all three. Then over piles first on right, then left and then just back piles. Then two piles out, left and right, then all three piles.
    Wayne Nutt

ok that might help i will try that just putting two to the right and left... once he gets it down pat i will add more and move to three... i am also in the middle of FF and some nights he does great and others he just has mental break downs and wont fetch/hold anything. I found the more i give him positive praise and over praise him durring force fetch(only when he actualy fetches on command correctly) he shows a huge intress and 100% better then if i just give the commands. He started to pick the bumper up off the ground yesterday and had a solid day of FF so i will see how it goes today.... hes only 6 months old but a retrieving machine...