The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Marking

Default If Marking

Is of primary importance - Why have the 1st 3 series of the National been 2 blinds, 1 set of marks (a double)? & 14 dogs have been dropped?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Is of primary importance - Why have the 1st 3 series of the National been 2 blinds, 1 set of marks (a double)? & 14 dogs have been dropped?
    Budget cuts????????????????
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

At the AA level the dogs better be able to do all of the work, not some of it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems it allows handlers to engage in the activity through having some input with their dogs versus the dog doing most of the work. Why? Because somebody is/are going to get cut from the get-go and it took quite a commitment of time and money to attend, to include the pre-Nat training.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Looks like the conditions were right for "that blind" and they went with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    Looks like the conditions were right for "that blind" and they went with it.
    ...or as simple as that.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

I was just trying to stimulate a little discussion - but looking at it this way - we all know going to a national is not inexpensive - you can get your dog's name in the catalog by just qualifying - so for those thousands of dollars spent to be there - your dog got 1, that's one, live bird - how many threads have there been on this forum about the importance of marking & at the premier event in the retriever world the early outs got to exhibit that 1 time? Can anyone name one good reason?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

But this conversation is brought up almost every single National...it's like beating a dead horse...oh but what my opinion doesn't matter now does it, I haven't proven myself in your eyes...carry on, pretend I'm not here...

Edit: If you look at the percentages (see summary thread) in reality the judges have been more than fair with their callbacks - last year for the 3rd they had a marking series, but the other years they had blinds...
    Last edited by FOM; 11-13-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I look at the first four series as a mini trial....two sets of marks, two blinds...maybe not in the same traditional order as a weekend trial, but IMO (which doesnt mean squat) you are giving each qualifier a chance to play and get their money's worth, unless they eliminate themselves

Since this particular sequence is used, I anticipate a big cut after the fifth series, or a nut buster of a test which will get them(judges) some answers....but then again thats just a guess
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I look at the first four series as a mini trial....two sets of marks, two blinds...maybe not in the same traditional order as a weekend trial, but IMO (which doesnt mean squat) you are giving each qualifier a chance to play and get their money's worth, unless they eliminate themselves

Since this particular sequence is used, I anticipate a big cut after the fifth series, or a nut buster of a test which will get them(judges) some answers....but then again thats just a guess
    You are right. Lauren texted me and said a killer quad tomorrow.