The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nipping noise in the bud

Pete, Don't listen to them. California wines ! 2004 Margaux, Grand Cru, Mis en Chateau.
    "Let them eat cake."
    Or at least a good Oregon Pinot Noir.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

[QUOTE][/You guys/gals need to cut Pete some slack...finding a quality bottle of wine in Boise Idaho takes an import, that is anything imported from out of state....when your choices are Albertsons,Winco or Wal Mart, none are target rich environments....I think that one of the reasons my SIL enjoys me visiting from time to time is that she knows I will always bring her some wine that she probably wont find in her local markets, one year I even had a case shipped in direct from a California vineyardQUOTE]

How does St. Chapels rank. They are a local winery. I must say it would be hard for me to pass up a 5.99 cent bottle of wine (. it all smells the same to me. ha! ha!

Wine and whining --no hi jacking here. (.
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Pete, I bought some of the St Chapelles when I was out there. Very good Cabernet! Go for it!
    your duck will appreciate it!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 7pntail View Post
    I did see it young and did not condone. But, not 100 percent sure how much difference that made.
    Look At it this way you have a whiner in 2 very specific locals, that don't affect your hunt, you could have a whiner in all locals, hunt, test, house. Better to be annoyed in 2 specific locals, and quiet 98% of the time I put a collar on a dog when they're walking out noise is met with a vibration, if that doesn't stop it's met with a nick, a real pain in the butt to deal with while walking out to a blind, a real pain to deal with if they're laying in a hut. Still most non-vocal dogs will get a little excited going out, make some annoying noise, but settle in as soon as you get to the blind. Let's not even talk about the commotion, while your loading guns and decoys into the truck, or what may happen if they are left in the truck, while other dogs are taken out of the box. My primary dog will howl at every shot, I'd didn't even know she could make noise until we took the pup out and left her in the truck one morning. Still a e-collar, not even turned on stopped that, Didn't stop the grudge she held for being left behind, I still had to deal with that

In CA we just go to whatever vineyard is on the corner, and pick up anything in the SALE rack, it's all good. But then 2 buck-chuck is hard to beat
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-15-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Darrin is 100% correct, a perfect analysis!
    JB

Mine gets too excited just going for a ride. I’ll sit him while I open the door but when I release him he quickly jumps in the back seat waiting for the window to be rolled down and for us to get moving. He just loves riding with his head out the window, regardless of how cold it is, how fast we’re going or how much it’s raining. I tried flicking him in the nose (lol) whenever he’d whine and that helped a bit. I’m now trying to desensitize him from the situation and force him to lay down for the entire trip. He still pants heavily in excitement but the whining has been reduced further.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

It appears this thread has morphed from whining to wine-ing. Definitely prefer the 2nd over the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Look At it this way you have a whiner in 2 very specific locals, that don't affect your hunt, you could have a whiner in all locals, hunt, test, house. Better to be annoyed in 2 specific locals, and quiet 98% of the time I put a collar on a dog when they're walking out noise is met with a vibration, if that doesn't stop it's met with a nick, a real pain in the butt to deal with while walking out to a blind, a real pain to deal with if they're laying in a hut. Still most non-vocal dogs will get a little excited going out, make some annoying noise, but settle in as soon as you get to the blind. Let's not even talk about the commotion, while your loading guns and decoys into the truck, or what may happen if they are left in the truck, while other dogs are taken out of the box. My primary dog will howl at every shot, I'd didn't even know she could make noise until we took the pup out and left her in the truck one morning. Still a e-collar, not even turned on stopped that, Didn't stop the grudge she held for being left behind, I still had to deal with that

In CA we just go to whatever vineyard is on the corner, and pick up anything in the SALE rack, it's all good. But then 2 buck-chuck is hard to beat
    Thanks for the advice---I have tried a nick, and it is met with confusion and a dog coming back to heal. Admit, I have not put much work into it. I can heal my dog all the way to the hunting area without a collar and no noise. That may be the answer. But, what about getting out of the truck, or opening a door for a walk?, A nick? That, IMHO would be very confusing to a dawg. I am not sure the dot's would be connected.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by knash3 View Post
    It appears this thread has morphed from whining to wine-ing. Definitely prefer the 2nd over the 1st.
    You may develop a sense of humor in a few years. BTW, "Greenhorn Vineyard's" is another good wine/whine choice. Just Joshin you---we mostly talk dawgs here.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Another thought may be that we are seeing more and more FC or NFC breedings instead of MH or MNH breedings. Most Ferrari's aren't made to go muddin'!

As far as the wining goes.....Hell's Canyon in Idaho makes some great wines and they put hunting dogs on their labels!