The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nipping noise in the bud

Quote Originally Posted by 7pntail View Post
    But, what about getting out of the truck, or opening a door for a walk?, A nick? That, IMHO would be very confusing to a dawg. I am not sure the dot's would be connected.
    I find the vibration function, along with quiet has more of an effect, or a muzzle shake with quiet. If a Nick is used I still give a Quiet command. I don't think the dog is really aware that it's making noise. Vibration/muzzle shake sort've snaps the brain out of it, stops the under the breath whine without the confusion of a command. Of course you got to be in a mind state to correct it, and I don't know about you but @ O'dark thirty I'm more concerned with Coffee, getting decoys and everything else out to the blind and setup before, that first bit of sun-light comes up. I don't really have the time or patience to deal with whining, which is probably why it seems so loud an annoying .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

What everyone else said, plus any indication of noise no derbies , hunt tests, until you believe it is gone! Unfortunately or fortunately some of these noisemakers are excellent markers, don't be tempted. Been there, done that and they can be heartbreakers if noise becomes a big issue. Treating the problem surgically doesn't work, will not elaborate.
    Earl Dillow

I used Hillmann's method on a son of a vocal dog. He has a lot of go but no noise. If you use this method from day 1 until they are a year old, you shouldn't have any issues with noise.

I wouldn't advise running any tests during that time either

I agree with Tammy. Bill Hillman's video is definitely the tool that I would use. Didi is a pup out of my Jefe, who is out of Little Man, who is well know for lots of go. Jefe was and is a vocal dog on the line, lots of noise (though no barking) and has the ability to creep for feet, not inches. Love him to death and his love of training and working, but didn't want the pup to have these issues. Didi is now 16 months old, steady as a rock and no vocal issues whatsover. She hunted a lot with me this year while guiding and was steady, not vocal, and would lay down by me when field hunting. Bill's method works!!!
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)