The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Kinda a newbie,questions and guidance needed in SC

Default Kinda a newbie,questions and guidance needed in SC

I got a nice AKC male that was heading into the pound in Alaska,his pedigree to me looks pretty good. I was given his AKC papers and didn't think much about it. We noticed that he picked up fetch really easy so we took some retrieving classes in Fairbanks. Our guy did good but we were in the middle of a move and were able to finish it it. I think that if he was put into the hands of someone that knew what they were doing he would excel,or if I could find someone to be a mentor to me and teach me what to do with him. The problem is I don't know anyone that cares about such things. If anyone is close to Columbia,SC and would take a newbie under their wing I would love to hear from you.

Cooper River Retriever Club is holding an AKC Hunt Test this weekend, November 17 & 18, in Camden, SC just outside of Columbia. You should try to make it one of the weekend days, you can meet a lot of local SC dog owners, handlers and pro-trainers. Their website is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooper...42404119139339. I assure you this would be a good place to start...I'll be there, look me up, I'll be at MH series B. I'm an apprentice judge this weekend under the guidance of Robert Rascoe and Shelley Schilling!

Rick
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

You may as well go to the Hunt Test listed above. It is being held at Canvasback Kennel owned by pro trainers Felix & Cara Mock. Cara could help you with your dog. Close to Columbia too. There are also many folks in that area who train dogs and there are numerous properties to train on basically north and south of I-20 along 521.

Plug this location into your map app. Driveway to Canvasback.
    3410'29.21"N, 8028'57.62"W
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I may very well do that. I actually will be out close to there Saturday so there is no excuse. I thank you all for responding. I would really like to get him finished up with training so he could compete,I really want to be able to say when people start talking about labs that I have a dog that trained and is also a great pet. I want to be able to say something more about him than Oh he's AKC. Plus if he can earn the titles why not,he totally loves to get ducks when we take him out to the lake.
    Last edited by labowner; 11-13-2012 at 06:12 PM.

PS
    Enjoy yourself when you go Saturday but leave your dog at home for this visit. Bring a chair and wear a dark colored shirt.
    Have fun, you're in for a surprise I imagine.
    Cheers
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Sent you a PM with some contacts in the area. have fun amd good luck with the pup.