The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Retriever Advisory Committee Layout Blinds

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    first they want to outlaw layout blinds...what's next outlaw the use of shotguns
    Be careful... this could be prophetic... and we'll all remember you said it first!
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    Yes sir. People have been hurt in the past. I have no clue about how often it occurs. I would say rare if I was to guess.
    Please support that statement with real documentation. I have used layouts for hunting all across the mississippi and central flyways and I see no problem with them at tests or trials. Just a matter of common sense logistics.

Still don't understand why the uninformed want to force their opinions on everyone. That includes layout blinds as well as gun control and abortion and taxes and religion......
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Please support that statement with real documentation. I have used layouts for hunting all across the mississippi and central flyways and I see no problem with them at tests or trials. Just a matter of common sense logistics.

Still don't understand why the uninformed want to force their opinions on everyone. That includes layout blinds as well as gun control and abortion and taxes and religion......
    I have a problem with them at HT, but that's another subject altogether.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post

Yeah, I don't think my sources are "uninformed" @ all.

I personally like them & some places they are basically a must have. So by all mean, spin away, Jack!!

I don't think they should be outlawed, but I think the FT committee should evaluate and approve the use before allowing a setup to proceed using them. Throwing a bird from a layout blind is the worst job you can have, and I for one won't do it. I do understand the usefulness in some areas, so prohibiting them isn't the answer. I'll be in a layout blind in NE Arkansas this weekend, but it ain't at a Field Trial!

Main thing that happens around here is birdboy ends up wet,or has red ants invade the layout blind after crumbs or snacks the birdboy may have.
    "they be antses down up in there"

Scatter Creek Retriever Club will vote no on the
    Ban to use layout blinds. Common sense and a little extra
    Effort can and will prevent all issues this proposal has with
    Layout blinds.
    We will vote yes on the amateur proposal which clarifies the existing
    Rule.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Be advised that clubs will begin receiving ballots soon, proposed rule change number 4 deals with eliminating the practice of lying a gunner down in the field to retire them.

Proposal No. 2 Layout Blinds
    Under STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR NON-SLIP RETRIEVER TRIALS, No. 8, 3rd paragraph, (page 28) after the sentence ending the distinctive shape of the blind insert the following: and in no event shall gunners or throwers be instructed to lay down on the ground in layout blinds or like configurations for hiding purposes.
    So that No. 8, 3rd paragraph in its entirety will read:
    “Retired Guns, throwers and blind planters should be concealed by a blind that provides complete coverage, adequate space, and natural camouflage to conceal the distinctive shape of the blind and in no event shall gunners or throwers be instructed to lay down on the ground in layout blinds or like configurations for hiding purposes. The blind must be so located as to minimize the development of a trail that will lead the running dog away from the area of the fall. In no circumstances should the judges have the guns move to another position to mislead dogs in their marking. No blinds shall be placed in the field in a marking test except in accordance with the provisions set forth in this paragraph or for the purpose of protecting the running dogs from injury by unseen hazards.”

This is a very important proposal for many of us in the plains states where there are places that it is impossible to retire a gun into natural cover where no natural cover exists, if you object to this rule proposal be sure that your club votes.
    Dr Ed, I think you and Lainee both know how I feel about them
    Brandon Edmondson

Can someone tell me what is so dangerous about retiring to a layout blind?? The good ones have an aluminum frame that surrounds you like a damn cage.
    The material is extremely tight which IMO wouldn't allow a dog to land on top of anyone hard enough to do any damage. The RAC sounds like they are bucking for EPA status.
    Might help to not put them down on top of an ant hill Jay.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts