The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ofa/cerf

I'll still send my results to CERF and then worry about whether or not they appear in the OFA database - when researching a dog I check all the databases and also ask for copies of the clearances for the sire and dam.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by wetdog View Post
    Along this thread, I have a question. I had my dog tested for CNM and EIC. My vet sent the samples to DDC (Veterinary Diagnostics Center) in Fairfield, OH, not to the Univ of Minn. I have the results, but OFA does not list the results. It appears, based upon OFA's website, I can send the results to OFA with an application fee to have them included in the OFA registry. Has anyone done that? Am I correct in the way I am reading OFA's information that I can apply to have the results included? Thanks for any answers.
    DDC as well as all the other for-profit Labs no longer perform EIC testing because the University of Minnesota's DNA patent was finally granted this year. Even before the patent was granted, OFA did not publish EIC tests results from any other facility other than the University of Minnesota Diagnostic Lab.

DDC is on the approved list at OFA for your CNM results though, so you will be able to submit those results to OFA.
    Last edited by frontier; 11-14-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I guess I wonder why the AVCO diplomates felt the need, as a body, to vote to go with OFA database vs continuing with CERF, particularly when CERF was providing the results to OFA already (assuming the dog owner sent the forms/fee in). I didn't pay much attention when I did my last group of dogs in October, just that the vet said "they" wanted a better database and were going with OFA now. CERF's website was pretty dated, they are working on it now apparently. What else does the CERF do, besides maintain the registry and collect data, for which they charge a fee to access reports? I see nothing on the site that indicates they do research into eye disease itself.

"What CERF Can Provide For You and Your Pet
    Registration: CERF cooperates with the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists (ACVO) to maintain a registry of purebred and hybrid dogs that ACVO Diplomates (member) examine and have found to be unaffected by major heritable eye diseases.

Research: CERF also maintains a research database which consists of clinical data that is generated by all examinations done by ACVO Diplomates. Reports generated from this resource help breeders and ophthalmologists identify trends in eye disease and breed susceptibility.

Education: CERF is dedicated to educating the public on matters involving canine eye disease. CERF provides a variety of reports and other eye disease materials to help educate the owner/breeder on heritable eye disease, healthy breeding stock, and breed-specific eye problems"
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I had my dog in for an exam yesterday and the Veterinary Ophthalmologists told me that CERF was messing up too much and that most ACVO's are switching to OFA only.
    John

UH HR Candlewood's Triple Deke Rosen - Puck
    Triple Deke's You'll Shoot Ur Eye Out - Ralphie

I had my lab's eyes redone today as his CERF was expired. The U of I made it clear that it was my choice as to which database I chose (OFA or CERF) and where to send it. But they also indicated that they are defaulting to the new OFA-database if clients do not express a preference.

I was a bit confused as the last I knew, the CERF data was automatically provided to the OFA and the OFA was entering it on their system. My hunch is there was some fine print on that arrangement that involved some out clauses and/or expiration dates.

Anyhow, it appears that OFA and CERF are both running a similar database in parallel. I went with my local opthalmologist's recommendation and chose to try the OFA route. $12 fee, good for one year from date of examination.

Chris

The OFA form was a bit simpler to fill out. There were fewer bubbles to shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I had my lab's eyes redone today as his CERF was expired. The U of I made it clear that it was my choice as to which database I chose (OFA or CERF) and where to send it. But they also indicated that they are defaulting to the new OFA-database if clients do not express a preference.

I was a bit confused as the last I knew, the CERF data was automatically provided to the OFA and the OFA was entering it on their system. My hunch is there was some fine print on that arrangement that involved some out clauses and/or expiration dates.

Anyhow, it appears that OFA and CERF are both running a similar database in parallel. I went with my local opthalmologist's recommendation and chose to try the OFA route. $12 fee, good for one year from date of examination.

Chris

The OFA form was a bit simpler to fill out. There were fewer bubbles to shade.
    And for those like me who CERF'd pups and delayed sending them in, according to the FAQ on the OFA web site, if I request in writing that the dogs be recorded in OFA versus CERF even if on the older forms, they will be recorded at OFA. I plan to submit all to OFA in the future.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I sent my last batch in to OFA even though they were still on the old CERF forms, with a written note giving permission to do so. Had the OFA certificates back in less than 2 weeks and also on the site very quickly vs CERF. It was weird not having a CERf number/certificate though and getting OFA one instead. Old habits. . . .
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs