The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Answer this question please?

Seems like Massachusetts should get a little more credit. Between 1981 and 2008 MA residents paid in $923,986 million dollars in federal taxes yet they received federal payments back of only $847,872 millions dollars (www.taxfoundation.org). Without states like MA, all those states dependent on the federal government would not get to share the 76,114,000,000 profit that the feds continue to reap from MA over the years. For example, picking a few states at random, Virginia received $375,627,000,000 more in federal payments than they contributed during this time period. Then there is NC which only received $9,255,000,000 more in federal payments than they contributed and Idaho which only received $21,528,000,000 more and Texas had a net gain of 133,310,000,000.

I guess this should be #6 on the list that started this thread.

One of the best questions I have seen on POTUS. One thing that has crossed my mind in the past is the religious differences. In the NE there are a lot of Episcopals, Unitarians, and also Catholics. Not so many evangelicals. Historically Catholics I know have supported Democrats. I am not sure why but my guess is the Catholic Church's focus on social justice. If not for the abortion issue, I believe they would lean more heavily Democrat. I have life long friends who grew up Catholic who are very conservative. Without exception they all have abandoned the Catholic Church and now go to Evangelical Churches. I came from a very Catholic family. Grandparents And aunts & uncles who helped build parishes and Catholic Schools. I attended Catholic School. I blame my liberalism on the message of social justice that was drilled into my head as a kid. I have talked about it a little here, trying to figure out how Christians could relate to the teachings of Ayn Rand and I am mostly quite surprised by the response I get.

i could be all wet, but I have thought about this before. The fact that they are so educated and wealthy could be just a byproduct of the concentration of terrific educational institutions there.

reading my post I can see that I didn't really address your question. Just rambling about one factor I think might explain the NE liberal leanings...
    Last edited by Buzz; 11-13-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by scott spalding View Post
    I will start by saying I am no fan of our current President but not much on Romney either.

1. Rated #1 for having a highly educated population."BA/BS or higher"
    2. One of the lowests levels of poverty.
    3. One of the highest median household incomes.
    4. 75 percent white. Just put this in to show that there is a small population of minorities.
    5. Governor Mitt Romney.

How could he not carry his home state?
    Scott... Same reason no republican can carry WA State... Overrun with liberals, plain and simple.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    One of the best questions I have seen on POTUS. One thing that has crossed my mind in the past is the religious differences. In the NE there are a lot of Episcopals, Unitarians, and also Catholics. Not so many evangelicals. Historically Catholics I know have supported Democrats. I am not sure why but my guess is the Catholic Church's focus on social justice. If not for the abortion issue, I believe they would lean more heavily Democrat. I have life long friends who grew up Catholic who are very conservative. Without exception they all have abandoned the Catholic Church and now go to Evangelical Churches. I came from a very Catholic family. Grandparents And aunts & uncles who helped build parishes and Catholic Schools. I attended Catholic School. I blame my liberalism on the message of social justice that was drilled into my head as a kid. I have talked about it a little here, trying to figure out how Christians could relate to the teachings of Ayn Rand and I am mostly quite surprised by the response I get.

i could be all wet, but I have thought about this before. The fact that they are so educated and wealthy could be just a byproduct of the concentration of terrific educational institutions there.

reading my post I can see that I didn't really address your question. Just rambling about one factor I think might explain the NE liberal leanings...
    I read an interesting article about Romney's Mormonism being a bigger factor than what was openly discussed.
    I can remember when JFK ran, being a Catholic was an issue as my parents were Southern Baptist!

Just a comment, I really have no clue what lurks in the hearts and minds of men, only the Shadow do!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I read an interesting article about Romney's Mormonism being a bigger factor than what was openly discussed.
    I can remember when JFK ran, being a Catholic was an issue as my parents were Southern Baptist!

Just a comment, I really have no clue what lurks in the hearts and minds of men, only the Shadow do!!!
    Stan it may have been a problem somewhere... But it didn't seem to bother we bigots in the south
    Bill Davis

Hey, guys.

Saying that Romney lost Mass because “there are so many liberals there” is not answering the question. It is simply restating the question. Of course liberals didn’t support Romney.

Scott’s question asks why is it, if Obama was really elected by of the welfare-seeking, “takers” who are looking for a handout without “giving” anything back ... as has been argued repeatedly all over this forum ... how do you explain a state like Mass, which has a very low percentage of voters in this category, going to Obama???

The same can be asked about a number of other states.

There must be a few voters with liberal views who actually are not looking for a handout.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Hey, guys.

Saying that Romney lost Mass because “there are so many liberals there” is not answering the question. It is simply restating the question. Of course liberals didn’t support Romney.

Scott’s question asks why is it, if Obama was really elected by of the welfare-seeking, “takers” who are looking for a handout without “giving” anything back ... as has been argued repeatedly all over this forum ... how do you explain a state like Mass, which has a very low percentage of voters in this category, going to Obama???

The same can be asked about a number of other states.

There must be a few voters with liberal views who actually are not looking for a handout.

JS
    Name one.............
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Name one.............
    ME!

Are you serious?
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    ME!

Are you serious?
    Have a sense of humor once in a while.
    That right there was funny, I don't care who you are!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

QUOTE]Originally Posted by road kill

Name one.............[/QUOTE]

If one beleives the 47% remark and Obama won with 52% then 5% of the voters.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.