The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise on first duck hunt with my 19 month old Golden Female

Default Advise on first duck hunt with my 19 month old Golden Female

Just looking for some tips on the first hunt for my 19 month Golden. Didn't take her last year to make sure she is ready. She is now ready. (Just to get that out of the way for all the posts about don't take her till she is ready.)

Any good tips, stories? I am excited to take my first dog on her first hunt.

Leave your gun in the case, let your buddies shoot the ducks while you hold the lead (just in case) and shoot pics with the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiecox View Post
    Just looking for some tips on the first hunt for my 19 month Golden. Didn't take her last year to make sure she is ready. . (Just to get that out of the way for all the posts about don't take her till she is ready.)

Any good tips, stories? I am excited to take my first dog on her first hunt.
    Let her have fun, the real world of hunting is different than training. Make it a good experience. Don't let her break. Huge rewards (whoo--who's) for each wild bird found in the swamp. Go out with her on retrieves, and make her successful.

Story: got a good one. I didn't bother to put decoys out and toss birds through the fakes during training. Didn't think was necessary. My pup decided decoys were very cool to fetch when released. A mistake on my part. You will want a leash, check cord to restrain your pup. Possibly even rope! Good luck

Personally, I would leave the collar in the car if you have one.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

I would take that thing off her neck
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    I would take that thing off her neck
    Now that's funny!
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

If it's flooded timber, try to start with only one person shooting and, like Jay Bird said, leave your gun in the case. If you have several people blasting away in flooded timber with an inexperienced dog, it can be a recipe for a dog that suddenly ain't so crazy about hunting after the dog has heard the first volley then the loud echos of that volley reverberating throughout the timber. It's a hard situation to really train for.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bird View Post
    Leave your gun in the case, let your buddies shoot the ducks while you hold the lead (just in case) and shoot pics with the camera.
    Agree in principle and ideal, but tough to do. We all want to shoot a few birds over our pups. If your dog can't break I think you can shoot. Have fun! Make her successful. Take some bumpers--might need them.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Thank you for all the replies...except duk4me (sarcasm). I forgot your old handle, but I remember some quote at the bottom about texas and little man syndrome or being a smart @**, I think. Anyway, thanks and no, I don't plan on hunting her with all those things on her neck. (Not sure if you are referring to avatar or a bandanna.) Either way, she is going to be hunting with 2 HRCH blm and I wish they could talk after they hunt with my swamp collie. Good luck to all for opening weekend in Arkansas.

I'd like to suggest - HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Goldens Rule !!!

Quote Originally Posted by robbiecox View Post
    Thank you for all the replies...except duk4me (sarcasm). I forgot your old handle, but I remember some quote at the bottom about texas and little man syndrome or being a smart @**, I think. Anyway, thanks and no, I don't plan on hunting her with all those things on her neck. (Not sure if you are referring to avatar or a bandanna.) Either way, she is going to be hunting with 2 HRCH blm and I wish they could talk after they hunt with my swamp collie. Good luck to all for opening weekend in Arkansas.
    Actually Bubba called me a smart arse texian and then I made a guy from Alabama mad and he confirmed it by calling me a smart a$$ with little man syndrome hence the sig line of The smart arse texian with little man syndrome. Never been so proud its been a long time since I was called little.

On a serious note one thing to watch for is if you are hunting in a large group sometimes it freaks a dog out on their first hunt when four or five guns go off at once. They tend to forget to mark due to wondering what the heck was that but a well trained dog will figure it out rather quickly, well except the part when everyone misses.

Good luck and have fun with the Marsh Mop I''m sure she will be fine.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon