The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hillmann's Puppy Program

Default Hillmann's Puppy Program

I've read a lot about this training DVD. And the more I read the more I contemplate on buying it. My thing is, that I was going to buy the complete program from smartworks which also includes a puppy dvd. Would things work the same if I used hillmanns pup training then transferred over to Evans program? An extra $130 can make a big difference, so I only want to buy if it will make the puppy more prepared for the more intensive training later on. Has anyone tried these two programs together like I mentioned?

I love the Hillman puppy program. My 10 month old is very advanced for his age.
    He is on a pro truck that uses Lardy TRT but You could transition to Evan's program easily.
    JMHO

Gregg Leonard

I have both plus a few other puppy dvds and the rest of Evans training system, Mike lardys TRT and TRM and Jackie Mertens as well as Fowl Dogs DVD Set and Retriever Fever DVD set and a collection of books. Each one has something to offer and some explain certain training drills and fundamentals better.

That being said I REALLY like Bill Hillmans puppy training program my 6 month old sits and marks and will stay there until sent you can hold a conversation and he will still just mark until sent and I know alot has to do with training on a regular basis but there is no restraining your pup. Bill just shows you how to get a puppy to sit and still be enthusiastic about retrieving.

130 bucks is not that much in the scheme of things how much would it cost you to send your pup to a trainer for a few months? Plus the DVD's hold their value and you could resell it on the classifieds section

good luck with your pup
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    I have both plus a few other puppy dvds and the rest of Evans training system, Mike lardys TRT and TRM and Jackie Mertens as well as Fowl Dogs DVD Set and Retriever Fever DVD set and a collection of books. Each one has something to offer and some explain certain training drills and fundamentals better.

That being said I REALLY like Bill Hillmans puppy training program my 6 month old sits and marks and will stay there until sent you can hold a conversation and he will still just mark until sent and I know alot has to do with training on a regular basis but there is no restraining your pup. Bill just shows you how to get a puppy to sit and still be enthusiastic about retrieving.

130 bucks is not that much in the scheme of things how much would it cost you to send your pup to a trainer for a few months? Plus the DVD's hold their value and you could resell it on the classifieds section

good luck with your pup
    yeah the money for it isn't a problem. But at the same time I don't wanna spend that money and then his program not transition well to Evans smartworks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas2256 View Post
    yeah the money for it isn't a problem. But at the same time I don't wanna spend that money and then his program not transition well to Evans smartworks?
    Hillmans program will transition well to any advanced program. His program instills a rock solid foundation to work from.

I bought my first Lab in 1983 and have trained and worked with many over the years. I can honestly say the $130.00 bucks for that DVD was the best $130 I ever spent on dog training.

It not only teaches a good foundation but more importantly PREVENTS so many undesirable traits.

Disclaimer: I don't' know the Hillmans and don't make anything from them.

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

We hosted a Hillman seminar a few months ago...there are SEVERAL portions of the early puppy work I really liked. The way he teaches early marking really gets them going out pretty long and marking nicely. Honestly his method of collar fetch is pretty cool too.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

An extra $130 can make a big difference, so I only want to buy if it will make the puppy more prepared for the more intensive training later on. Has anyone tried these two programs together like I mentioned?
    If the money isnt a problem and we all have told you that it transitions well then what is the problem?
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

just waiting to hear from more people I guess..and it'll be a little while before I even get the puppy, I just wanna have all my information down pat.