The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Rehab advice

Default Rehab advice

A friend suggested that I ask the list if anyone had experience with this type of injury. I would appreciate any rehab advice please (private canebrake1@comcast.net or public appreciated) -

My 4 1/2 year old lab had surgery yesterday to repair a medial collateral ligament rupture and metatarsal fracture to left rear leg. He was running after a tennis ball and landed wrong when the ball bounced "wrong". He is extremely high drive (all 49 lbs of him and competes in agility, etc. The surgeon was optimistic but I live in an area where rehab facility is not nearby (Western KY). If anyone has advice on recommendations for rehab facility or had similar experience, would appreciate it. I would gladly post the xray if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks so much

Martha & Wilson
    -Martha Veatch

Lab crew from KY Breeze and Wilson

I'd recommend finding the nearest rehab place, setting up and appt and finding out what you can/should be doing at home to maximize recovery. My understanding is that there are many at-home things that can be done and some of those can/should be started very soon after the dog has come home. It's probably worth the drive for a consult or two to get the best things to be doing to help your dog recover.