The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does "let a puppy be a puppy" really mean?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid View Post
    I am going thru this right now. My pup is just over 8 weeks old. She is doing a lot of biting and nipping. She doesnt listen to "no" so I try and divert her attention to her teething bone etc but its not working real well. I tried to act like she hurt me with a yelp and this worked for a day but stopped working. It is very easy to get frustrated. Sometimes it is better to step back take a breath and remember she is just a puppy and this is not going to be an over night miricle. I like the idea of "forming" their behavior. My pup has started making lots of noise when she is in her crate and does not want to be. When I get up in the morning I let her out and bring her in and put her food in the crate and she chows down. By the time I get done with my shower i can hear her crying and yelping. When I am done with a shower I take her outside again and let her potty and then she goes back in the crate till my fiance wakes up (works a later scedule than me). When I leave apparently she starts crying and yelping again. I need to break this but Im not sure how. I try not to give her attention when she is crying but I have to get to work and cant wait around for her to calm down to take her out. I have had puppies and most of them got tone of voice with a stern "no" but this pup could care less and it is very easy to get frustrated.
    I know you don't have enough posts to pm yet, so email me at rainmakerlabs@yahoo.com, I'll send you some stuff. But, your pup is 8 weeks old and still adjusting, you cannot lose patience or have rigid expectations, they have very, very short attention spans at that age, are still in the process of bonding with you and leaving their littermates. You can get a puppy on a schedule and work on these issues, certainly, but be fair and consider the age. She probably doesn't even know her name yet, I highly doubt she can listen to "no" when she doesn't have a clue what it means.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I have a 12 week old YLF and I am enjoying all that the puppy stage has to offer me right now. Bitting, running away with my socks and doing all the puppy stuff. In six months time it will be all over and I will be laughing at the crazy stuff that went on. Finally learned what the word NO means and sitting for a kibble. Step by step.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Very well said Kim. Would love to have your permission to use this in my puppy info for new owners.
    Tracy Hughes - Crimson Kennels
    www.crimsonkennels.com

Jessica's Chocolate Cait, MH
    Mosby's Big Jake, MH
    Tubby's Maxximum Trouble, MH
    Double G Cosmo's Dream Girl, MH
    Crimson's Coriander Dream, MH
    Johnson's Redwind, MH
    Crimson's TNT By Design, MH
    Crimson's Black Powder Girl, MH

Sure, Tracy. It's part of my puppy guide, partly what prompted me to post. As the breeders who've responded on here agree, we all deal with it. Send a litter home with oodles of info that isn't read/heard by some and the problems start. Either rushing pup too fast with too high of expectations or not dealing with things like biting and barking appropriately. We see the posts on here as well, from new pup owners. Since I'm hanging on here watching the Nat updates, might as well be a little constructive too.

Kim

I don't know what inspired you to write this, BUT it was a very good inspiration and you did a nice job!!! Well done!

Cheers
    Dennis

Make this a sticky

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post
    Kim

I don't know what inspired you to write this, BUT it was a very good inspiration and you did a nice job!!! Well done!

Cheers
    As a big fan of your posts on here, Training Alone DVD and magazine articles, thank you, that means alot.

Charlie Morgan's book has a great section about puppies.

Kim, very well said...thanks for posting!
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Charlie Morgan's book has a great section about puppies.
    Other good resources for shaping puppy behavior are: Connie Cleveland/ Dog Trainer's workshop. She even has online classes for those who cannot attend a puppy obedience class with their puppy. Connie has had OTCH dogs and Field Champions that she has owned, trained and handled.

http://www.dogtrainersworkshop.com/
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com