The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What does "let a puppy be a puppy" really mean?

Thanks Rainmaker for the excellent post.

Your comment about folks postin pictures of their arms chewed to he!! from new puppy, musta been drug outof your memory of the one I posted when we got Flinch!!

She DID kinda tear me up..

She likes me now!!!

She dont bite my arms no more,, but after a training day,, the cuffs of my dungerees look a bit ragged..

She really goes after my shoes too...

Ketches owner encourages her to abuse me every chance he gets!!

I really like her though... I'm just now gettin to the point that I dont have to dangle a Pork chop around my neck to get her to pay attention..

It IS a bit disturbing though when running the T,, that after she sits,, she bares her teeth and growls at me,,, but we are comming along OK..

Thanks again for the post...... "My NEXT dog"....

P.S.

Fer the noobees.... Never pay attention to ANYTHING Gooser says..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Great post Kim. I think we all melt at the sight of a puppy and tend to let them get away with too much (Gooser is another story). It is easy to allow "cute" bad behavior to manifest into poor habits. Well put and everyone should copy this for future reference.

P.S. I spoil my dogs as well.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

Great stuff!! Thanks Rainmaker!

Quote Originally Posted by John Montenieri View Post
    Great post Kim. I think we all melt at the sight of a puppy and tend to let them get away with too much (Gooser is another story). It is easy to allow "cute" bad behavior to manifest into poor habits. Well put and everyone should copy this for future reference.

Shhhhh, I do too. It's a good thing they don't have human reasoning, realize I could easily be their emotional hostage, or I'd be making pancakes every morning instead of just Sundays.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by John Montenieri View Post

Haha, me to and to the extreme. But in all seriousness I totally agree. What is cute and funny when they are pups and can be handled easily or semi easily ceases to be cute and funny when they are grown and full of pizz and vinegar.

Well stated Kim!

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I tell anyone that gets a pup "Do NOT let them do anything as a pup you don't want them to do as an adult dog".
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

I can just hear the adult male wolf in a wolf pack telling his mate to let the pups be pups for the first year.

Dogs are designed to work in packs and in doing so need and thrive with structure and expectations of behavior. I feel you do more damage to your pup by letting them do whatever they want when they want too. Then after months of finding themselves the owner is going to tell them I want you to change who you have become.

The first six months of a pup’s life are the best time to mold the behaviors you like and remove the behaviors you don’t want. This does not mean that other negative behaviors won’t rise up later that you need to deal with but it gives you a working foundation to stop the bad behaviors.

I don’t agree that structure and expectations of behavior have to include some kind of physical punishment. If you start young and you are consistent with your expectations it should never get to the point of a physical altercation with your dog.

I see dogs that come to training who blow off whistle commands get nicked, blow off more whistle commands get nicked blow off nicks and then finally make it to the bird and get rewarded.

So in the dogs mind this is how the game works, I can do whatever I want out there and deal with the shocks and all the yelling, still do whatever I want and I can get rewarded for it.

With pups all you have to do to get your point across is deny the reward.
    Last edited by Im_with_Brandy; 11-17-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    New retriever Champ 5/10/2014
    UH HRCH Brandywine Sue MH
    & GLSD: Finished Upland, Finished Retriever
    2013 GLSD Finished High point dog of the year.

Well Done!!!
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Capozzi View Post
    This was GREAT! it really helped me put somethings in perspective. My only question is, When is a puppy no longer a "puppy"?
    When he's ready to go into formal training.
    GG
    NO DOG WILL PERFORM TO HIS TRAINING LEVEL UNLESS HIS HANDLER IS CAPABLE OF MAKING HIM DO SO!
    reibar.com