The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low semen count?

Default Low semen count?

Is there any way to increase the semen count on a male that has a low count? He has bred 3 females in the past and they had big litters. Bred two other females and nothing. Had him checked and was told he has a few swimmers.

Had him checked for brucellouis (SP) came back neg. Is there any thing I can give him?

Bubba might know what to do.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

He might have an infection, had a male once with a low count, they did a once over on him, prescribed a few pills(might've been little blue ones ). Cleared up the infection and he was back in action
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

comprehensive thyroid profile, semen and urine culture

was he working a lot in the heat right before the counts/breedings were done?

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dangers View Post
    Is there any way to increase the semen count on a male that has a low count? He has bred 3 females in the past and they had big litters. Bred two other females and nothing. Had him checked and was told he has a few swimmers.

Had him checked for brucellouis (SP) came back neg. Is there any thing I can give him?
    Not sure where you are at in WIsconsin. Go see Marty Greer in Lomira. Have him checked out. every reproduction vet has a different "cocktail" to try to increase sperm production. Sometimes, a dog will just go sterile for no reason at all.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I had the exct same issue with my Gus, a couple breedings with reasonable numbers then problems. I was in Houston for some treatment of my own so took him to Mary Tatum to check out. His sperm count was down, ok motility, but only 30% normal sperm with lots of bent and coiled tails. Mary treated him with an antibiotic in case he had an infection (he didn't), and put him on a daily regime of (one) Glyco-Flex III chewable and (one) Omega Gold oil capsule each day. It took six months of gradual improvement, (I tested his sperm at three months and each month after that), and his sperm count improved from a low of 330 million to about a billion, very good motility and 85-90% normal. Many vets have not heard of this regime, as most associate the Glyco Flex to be more joint oriented, but you can't argue with the results.

Good luck, I hope you figure it out. Definately find a good repo-Vet in your area.

John

John, it might have just been the Omega Gold oil. The repro vet here strongly recommends fish oil supplements (Krill or the one the vet sells) to improve sperm quantity and quality.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Def. get with a good repro. vet and also check him for tick diseases. For instance, Lyme disease can compromise male fertility.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Def. get with a good repro. vet and also check him for tick diseases. For instance, Lyme disease can compromise male fertility.
    maybe check for mycoplasma. I am not a vet, nor a vet tech. As explained to me mycoplasma is one of the normal "Bacterial like" organisms found in the reproductive tract. There have been cases where the mycoplasma was over abundant causing abnormal sperm, low sperm count, low motility. A culture must be grown to positively diagnose this problem. Treatment is with antibotics over a period of weeks. Mycoplasma is found in the Respiratory tract as well as the reproductive tract. look mycoplasma up concerning the reproductive tract. One stud dog that I know of was diagnosed after a routine sperm evaluation that had shown a few white blood cells in the ejaculate. The Vet did not think it was a problem but to be on the safe side sent off a properly collected specimen to be cultured.
    Continuing to do routine health checks on a dog one is using at stud will help you to have him maintain his productivity longer.